Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this small chunk of iron on old farmland near my house in Georgia. Land has probably been farmed since the mid 1700's. Wasn't sure what this was, other than iron, so I threw it in the tumbler and a couple of hours later, it split open, revealing what looks to be a primitive nail.

Question is - how long does something have to be underground to grow this much "rock" around it?

Anyone have a guess?

na.jpg

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a nice rose head nail....would be best to get it in electrolysis or ACV. Most better older hand forged nails I find come pretty clean. Lower carbon in the iron made for better combating the rusting process. I would say your nail fits the period of the farm. Get it cleaned up and let's see the head on it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a nice rose head nail....would be best to get it in electrolysis or ACV. Most better older hand forged nails I find come pretty clean. Lower carbon in the iron made for better combating the rusting process. I would say your nail fits the period of the farm. Get it cleaned up and let's see the head on it.

That's cool! Thanks so much, VN. This forum never ceases to amaze me! Just dipped it in my exceptionally hazardous homemade electrolysis machine. Will look for results in a couple hours

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VillageNut, I'll be damned if I didn't drop it in my garage last night and can't find it! I'm still searching....

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dougie, guess you better fire up that Garrett and/or your pinpointer! Maybe a magnet??? Hope your tire doesn't find it for you...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dougie, guess you better fire up that Garrett and/or your pinpointer! Maybe a magnet??? Hope your tire doesn't find it for you...

If I hadn't just torn apart two different cars in that garage, that might be a viable option, but as it is, it's all nuts and bolts on the garage floor right now...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found it! Put it through electrolysis a bit longer and then a good scrub - turned out pretty good. Villagenut, what do you think? Looks old as s**t to me :) I know something like this is probably trash to some, but man I think it's super cool to find something this old.

First side:

IMG_1070.jpg

Other side:

IMG_1071.jpg

For size comparison:

IMG_1076.jpg

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that it is cleaned up a bit....I would say that your nail is a screw. I see threads?

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
villagenut, I agree. Looks like threads near the bottom of the last pic.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that it is cleaned up a bit....I would say that your nail is a screw. I see threads?

Wow! I was wondering why it was so misshapen at the bottom...that never would have occurred to me. Here's a close-up - pretty obvious now that you pointed it out. Thanks!

IMG_1085.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread