This relic was dug from the ruins of Pompeii, buried circa 79 A.D. The copper alloy parts are identical to modern day counterparts.

tigerbeetle

Jan 2, 2009
Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Many -- Fisher, White's, Minelab, Cobra, others
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
POMPEII (2).jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Modern plumbing found at an excavation site. Happens frequently. Many archaeological sites near populated areas are found when municipal projects require digging. Pompeii is no different.

Time for more coffee.

Emil W

Nov 4, 2021
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Deus
Deus Lite
Garrett Apex
Garrett Pinpointer
BH Discovery 2200
BH Pioneer EX
White's Coinmaster 6000D (have had for decades)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Modern plumbing found at an excavation site. Happens frequently. Many archaeological sites near populated areas are found when municipal projects require digging. Pompeii is no different.

Time for more coffee.
I wouldn't consider it "modern plumbing".

Nothing is created in a vacuum--everything is based on something that came before. In this case, what came before are the basics of the valve, which were designed millennia ago. But modern advances have made it better in too many ways to mention here, so ancient plumbing is not modern plumbing. Simply how technologies advance.

But I get where you're coming from so you can ignore everything I've said.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Modern plumbing
No, those are classically Roman valves, of a standardized style found all across the empire. They were pioneers in the art of plumbing and even had something akin to water utilities where the rich would pay for water service from the aqueduct or reservoir based on the diameter of their pipe/valve. If they failed to pay then their water would be turned off. An authentic Roman bronze valve is one of my most desired artifacts, for me they're about as quintessentially "Roman" as it gets. I have a hunch that many have been scrapped in ignorance and that eventually I may find someone selling one cheap under the assumption that it's only a few hundred years old, a hunch corroborated by what you posted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread