What's new

This takes some explanation

k0bgalan

Sr. Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2026
Messages
282
Reaction score
852
Golden Thread
0
Location
Roswell, NM
Detector(s) used
All Garrett: Ace 250 (two), AceApex, VX-9. Have owned just about every Garrett ever made. First three detecter I made myself, with the first one in 1962.
If you live anywhere near the original thirteen states, or close to Civil War battlefields, you’re certain to find a myriad of relics and curios. These include what’s left of shoe buckles, buttons, lead balls and mini-balls, and other things related to the aforementioned. Out here in the desert Southwest, you do not find shoe buckles, etc., but what you do find can be rather scary!

The photos show a few odd things most folks wouldn’t recognize. The odd-shaped chunk of metal is part of an alfalfa swather aka cutter or mower. Over the years I’ve found five or six of them. The scary parts are the ammunition pieces, like the .22 LR case in the first photo.

When you consider that most of the parks in and around Roswell, NM were once farm land growing primarily alfalfa, it is scary to find all manner of ammo parts, including live rounds! Part of the stash is undoubtedly from hunting adventures, but way too much is not!

The Fourth of July is just around the corner, and once again there will be idiots shooting off ammo rather than fireworks. Even when it isn’t a holiday like Juneteenth or the Fourth, you still hear sporadic gunfire more often than you should.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind finding a few buckles and buttons!
 

Attachments

  • tempImage4Lt5Vy.webp
    tempImage4Lt5Vy.webp
    261.9 KB · Views: 48
  • tempImageTbeUfv.webp
    tempImageTbeUfv.webp
    235.6 KB · Views: 30
Even when it isn’t a holiday like Juneteenth or the Fourth, you still hear sporadic gunfire more often than you should.
I hope you’re talking about being in town. Where I live, in a rural area, “sporadic gunfire” is an everyday thing here. We shoot, and that’s why we live in the country. I have a 100 yd rifle range right behind my house. 👍🏻
 
I'm talking in town! When I moved to Roswell, in 2001, crime was rather low compared to say Albuquerque or Sante Fe. during most of the teens, Roswell, has a reawakening so to speak. One of my amateur radio friends had his house hit several times. Like most violent crime in the USA, Roswell's has fallen too, but it is still too high for me.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom