This Video Shows Some Of The Reasons Why I Swing A Tesoro Vaquero Metal Detector

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's one amazing detector at any price. I usually set mine up with the discrimination set just high enough to barely discriminate out nails. I have a ball with it at old home sites that are loaded with nails. I can't begin to tell you how many silver coins I've found in the same hole with nails with my Vaquero and modded Cibola. I don't like to, but I can turn the discrimination up just high enough to discriminate out pull tabs at old parks and still dig plenty of silver coins and rings.

Keep in mind, a nail or pull tab right next to a silver coin will show a junk VDI number and give a junk tone ID on a detector with a screen and tone ID.

tabman

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently: CTX 3030, Tesoro Modded Cibola, F75LTD-2, XP Deus, Tesoro Mojave, MXT Pro, Tesoro Eldorado, Whites MXT All Pro, Minelab Equinox, Fisher CZ5 & CZ3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's the Vaquero showing how well it does on my pull tab test board with the discrimination set just high enough to discriminate out pull tabs. It's pretty amazing in how it can find silver coins at sites that are loaded with pull tabs.

tabman

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Good info as always tabman! Thanks!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw that a while back and posted it under a thread about depth here on TNet. Scannerguy has a great test bed. And he said he only threw in the Vaq because the others were display units. I laughed when the Vaq showed up the others that couldn't even find certain coins.

Impressive.

Texas Looter

Jan 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Question for you Tabman or or anyone else that knows.

Will the Vaquero past the Pulltab test with the new 11"x8" Widescan coil?

Thanks man

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Question for you Tabman or or anyone else that knows.

Will the Vaquero past the Pulltab test with the new 11"x8" Widescan coil?

Thanks man

It sure will! I just went outside and gave it a try. It seems to do better than the 8 inch concentric did. I'll do a video when I get time.

Here's a video of me showing how easy it is to pinpoint with the new coil:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's one amazing detector at any price. I usually set mine up with the discrimination set just high enough to barely discriminate out nails. I have a ball with it at old home sites that are loaded with nails. I can't begin to tell you how many silver coins I've found in the same hole with nails with my Vaquero and modded Cibola. I don't like to, but I can turn the discrimination up just high enough to discriminate out pull tabs at old parks and still dig plenty of silver coins and rings.

Keep in mind, a nail or pull tab right next to a silver coin will show a junk VDI number and give a junk tone ID on a detector with a screen and tone ID.

tabman

That's not true for all screen and tone Id detectors. Good ones will signal both. Very misleading.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the Vaquero showing how well it does on my pull tab test board with the discrimination set just high enough to discriminate out pull tabs. It's pretty amazing in how it can find silver coins at sites that are loaded with pull tabs.

tabman

This video is a setup from the beginning. What it doesn't show is a 8 inch deep rusty washer where all the other detectors say iron and the vaquero says silver quarter.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's not true for all screen and tone Id detectors. Good ones will signal both. Very misleading.

Which detectors do you think would give correct VDI numbers on this pull tab test board? Can the AT Pro, F75, G2 or Omega do it?

tabman

jld66

Oct 28, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
Vaquero with 8x11, 8x9, 5.75 concentric coils.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This video is a setup from the beginning. What it doesn't show is a 8 inch deep rusty washer where all the other detectors say iron and the vaquero says silver quarter.
my vaquero will go all the way up or just about on the disc knob on a galvanized washer the size of a nickle or larger and sound good also. but, i'm no expert or claim to be either. one thing i do know. the guy i was with sunday who has an ace 350. seemed just about everything on that rings up as silver though. did have to keep myself from laughing at it. very inaccurate id on them. i did check a few hits he had that read silver, told him it was iron. one was a small rusty iron hinge. he did look disgusted. them things are junk, talk about beep and dig units. those ace's are them.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which detectors do you think would give correct VDI numbers on this pull tab test board? Can the AT Pro, F75, G2 or Omega do it?

tabman

I have no idea about the test. I'm referring to your statement the I'd and tone detector will give bad signal on a coin and a piece of trash. Might be true on some low end detectors but is not true for all.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my vaquero will go all the way up or just about on the disc knob on a galvanized washer the size of a nickle or larger and sound good also. but, i'm no expert or claim to be either. one thing i do know. the guy i was with sunday who has an ace 350. seemed just about everything on that rings up as silver though. did have to keep myself from laughing at it. very inaccurate id on them. i did check a few hits he had that read silver, told him it was iron. one was a small rusty iron hinge. he did look disgusted. them things are junk, talk about beep and dig units. those ace's are them.

I totally agree some are ridiculous. But some are totally the opposite.

OP
OP
tabman

tabman

Bronze Member
Jul 5, 2011
Germantown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea about the test. I'm referring to your statement the I'd and tone detector will give bad signal on a coin and a piece of trash. Might be true on some low end detectors but is not true for all.

Well, pull tabs are trash and that was a silver quarter on that test board. None of the detectors with screens that I've used gave correct VDI numbers on this test board.

Any suggestions on a 'higher end' detector that will give correct VDI numbers on this pull tab test board would be welcome. I like trying new detectors.

tabman

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think maybe dirtscratcher may be referring to a CTX? Dunno? It is the only one I know of that will actually show a 2D picture of two different targets conductivity numbers under the coil.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said before I have no idea about a test like you show. I do know that in actual real life digging targets the vaquero was the most dissapointing of any I've used. Actual digging say a coin in the ground with a nail or pull tab is a more realistic. Very easy with a fbs I've dug dozens of silver coins with nails sometime 2 or 3 in the same hole. Some with rust stains from nail laying on them. Next example would be the t2. In the last 2 weeks I've dug 3 steel wheat pennies with a signal that said penny and also a piece of iron. You made a blanket statement that vid and tone detectors give a bad signal over trash and a good target which is wrong. Before anyone comes up with the argument about price. You can get an old explorer for less than a vaquero

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another I'll add is the atp. I've watched Frostdigger dig up a couple 8 inch nails after getting a silver signal and after digging around a little more popped a Morgan dollar. This was a old dock littered with big spikes. I take it theese test are trying to duplicate coins surrounded by trash. The second video shows the atp being used in what would be the beginner mode.

Hihosilver

Jan 2, 2013
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Mojave, Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Golden micromax (present machines), Past: once upon a time, long, long ago... a Bounty Hunter 840.
Coils: 5.75 concentric, 7” black concentric, 7" widescan,
Primary Interest:
Other
Tabman, your video posts plus one from another thread about getting 12" depth on a quarter by adjusting the GB to the negative have me rethinking my future detector plans. I was going to get the Outlaw to compliment my Golden umax, but these Vaquero vids have given me reason to reconsider. I am having a tough time deciding. I like the depth capabilities of the Vaq, but the descrimination and no motion all metal on the Outlaw are good features as well. Any thoughts?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If there is a BETTER metal detector than the Tesoro Vaquero for under $500.00, show it t o me!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a BETTER metal detector than the Tesoro Vaquero for under $500.00, show it t o me!

Easiest challenge ever. I own both and it's not even close.

Attachments

• 1453823328880.jpg
    1453823328880.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 152

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest challenge ever. I own both and it's not even close.

That was the same pic I was going to post! You can use 1 tone like a Tesoro or 2, 3,4 or delta pitch. For the $$$ there's no comparison IMO.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions