This was found in a friends chicken coop; any ideas?

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• photo0001.jpg
    photo0001.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 6,541
  • photo0003.jpg
    photo0003.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 6,459
  • photo0004.jpg
    photo0004.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 6,446
  • photo0005.jpg
    photo0005.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 6,335

Chainbreaker

Oct 28, 2010
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Re: This was found in a friend's chicken coop; any ideas?

I haven't even begun my own search yet, but it might be fun to keep this thread going a little longer and see how many (if any) real-life pictures we can find of the item. Now that we know what it is, I bet there are pictures of it somewhere. What say y'all?

SBB

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

SBB, i think your 1910 date is close this, Plumbers, gas and steam fitters journal,Volumes 16-17
was published in jan 1911,it says on the cover,and the tool was sold by, starbucks & sons
hartford conn. another jpg with the correct name of tool
http://tinyurl.com/6bw6m69

Attachments

• grease and rosin box.jpg
    grease and rosin box.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 433
Upvote 0

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic ID chainbreaker :notworthy: :hello2:

I wonder how many other examples are lying around in old tool boxes?

Cheers, Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

GerryL

Oct 30, 2008
western MA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

OMG, you solved it a few months ago. I haven't checked in since late winter. That's amazing! Awesome solving; it sure looks like the item I had my hands on. I will forward this info to the owner. I had lost hope; it was unusual and a tough one to solve. Thanks very much!
And thanks to BCH for PMing me to let me know!
:notworthy: :hello2: :icon_thumright:

Chainbreaker said:
I've got the answer for the tube with three compartments, it's a plumber's container for holding rosin, grease, and flour. One of my friends found it in a book entitled "Encyclopedia of Antique Tools and Machinery" by C.H. Wendel (page 171), the three substances were all necessary for the soldering process of assembling the joints of lead pipe. A similar grease and rosin box can be seen on this page:

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improv...ard-Practical/The-Plumber-s-Tools-Part-2.html

The web site states "When rosin, grease, etc., are not kept in some such receptacle they become scattered among the tools, and are not only hard to find when needed, but adhere to the tools and get them into dirty condition."

The tool book said they were made in three different sizes.

Someone here had sent me a link to this thread, I posted the item on my web site a few months ago but didn't get an answer until today. My "What is it?" web site can be seen here:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

And my post with the rosin box is on this page:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/2010/12/set-369.html

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

GerryL said:
OMG, you solved it a few months ago. I haven't checked in since late winter. That's amazing! Awesome solving; it sure looks like the item I had my hands on. I will forward this info to the owner. I had lost hope; it was unusual and a tough one to solve. Thanks very much!
And thanks to BCH for PMing me to let me know!
:hello2: :icon_thumright:

[
Chainbreaker solved one of the top 10 all time best mystery items of TN. ;D Dont forget the green check. (solved)

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Chainbreaker said:
Glad that I could help! I don't know much about the relics that are usually posted here, but if anyone finds an unusual tool that's hard to identify feel free to send me some photos, I'd be happy to take a look at them.

http://55tools.blogspot.com/
Cool website chainbreaker.

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

230 responses, and I am totally conviced that the IQ level in the metal detecting community has been stolen by aliens. 99% of the responses (including mine) have been total idiocy. And that is being generous. Perhaps it is because many of us have not been exposed to dangerous radio frequencies for almost a week and our brains have degenerated. Nevertheless, I have hurt my sides laughing while loosing 23 minutes of my life reading this stuff. MORE !!

Where is the guy with the old Mongomery Wards catalogue. I'll bet it is in there, offered at 12 cents each.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

High Plains Digger said:
230 responses, and I am totally conviced that the IQ level in the metal detecting community has been stolen by aliens. 99% of the responses (including mine) have been total idiocy. And that is being generous.
I realize you are new here in the "What Is It forum" High Plains Digger and you may be surprised that we do a pretty good job here. I realize you are just trying to be funny but I am taken back by some of your off the wall comments this past week or so.. This forum is known as one of the best all round identification forums on the net with many sharp members and it appears that you are lowering the bar and/or trying to make a big joke out of it. Humor is great but try to get seroius occasionally please because we take the identification process here very seriously.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

High Plains Digger said:
oops. I should have put in lots of lol's.
The word idiot, stupid and dumb used to be deleted. We are not supposed to be using those words. I dont think it applies to members comments anyway. Thats how the identification process works.

Nobodys comments are stupid or dumb (including yours). One idea leads to the next. Thats how the process works. Have fun yes its just a hobby yes but no need to belittle someones IQ or comments.

We got the correct ID in the end and thats whats important. ;D

BTW Im not a moderator just a member like yourself but many of us have worked very hard over the years to make this forum the BEST all round site to identify something unknown. The TN "What Is It" forums reputation speaks for itself the world over and it all gets saved in the archives for future researchers reference.

Upvote 0

Chainbreaker

Oct 28, 2010

[[/quote]Chainbreaker solved one of the top 10 all time best mystery items of TN. ;D Dont forget the green check. (solved)
[/quote]

What are some of the other top 10 mystery items? I would appreciate it if anyone could post links to some of the biggest mysteries on this forum, I'm sure some of the other new people here would also enjoy seeing them.

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Chainbreaker said:
What are some of the other top 10 mystery items? I would appreciate it if anyone could post links to some of the biggest mysteries on this forum, I'm sure some of the other new people here would also enjoy seeing them.

The two greatest "What is it's" of all time: :notworthy:

Folks were going crazy trying to figure out what these things were.

Mystery counter wheel http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,58818.0.html
Pig nuts http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,91892.0.html

Took several years and thousands of guesses but through diligent and systematic research and working from the wild guess clues they were finally solved :hello2:

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

bigcypresshunter: I am truly sorry that I offened you. My comments were not pointed or addressed to anything, let alone anyone, and certainly were not directed to the process. I give you my word that I will not use the S, D, or I words again, even in total jest. And I do believe in the process and have watched it work well. So, I beg your forgiveness with my promise only to show the total respect due for what has been done and is being done by the "what is it" group.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

High Plains Digger said:
bigcypresshunter: I am truly sorry that I offened you. My comments were not pointed or addressed to anything, let alone anyone, and certainly were not directed to the process. I give you my word that I will not use the S, D, or I words again, even in total jest. And I do believe in the process and have watched it work well. So, I beg your forgiveness with my promise only to show the total respect due for what has been done and is being done by the "what is it" group.
NP maybe I overreacted. 8) Sorry. I didnt think any of the guesses were the stupid or that metal detectorists had a low IQ. I realize you were joking and you didnt single out any particular member. The week long joking kinda got old I guess.

Wild guesses are OK. Sometime we get over emotional and arguments do occasionally occur but the bottom line is we get results. Dont worry High Plains Digger. Humor is OK too but dont put down the forum even in a joke. :D There are some highly educated bright people here, even though they are metal detectorists. :wink:

Upvote 0

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008

Thank you, bigcypresshunter. And actually, I know that metal detectorists are brilliant, that is why I aspire to be one, find old coppers and hundreds of rings like some of these guys do. And I know that many of the people out there have written books on their particular subjects. I am humbled to be in the information chain that they provide.

Upvote 0

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[/quote] The Brass Acorn was a good one .

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,37090.0.html

Upvote 0

Chainbreaker

Oct 28, 2010

GoodyGuy said:
Chainbreaker said:

The two greatest "What is it's" of all time: :notworthy:

Folks were going crazy trying to figure out what these things were.

Mystery counter wheel http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,58818.0.html
Pig nuts http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,91892.0.html

Took several years and thousands of guesses but through diligent and systematic research and working from the wild guess clues they were finally solved :hello2:

Thanks for the links, someone had sent the counter to me a couple years ago, glad to see that it's been solved.

Upvote 0

Chainbreaker

Oct 28, 2010

mojjax said:
The Brass Acorn was a good one .

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,37090.0.html

[/quote]

Thanks, hadn't seen one of those before. Are there any big mysteries here that haven't been solved yet?

Upvote 0

OhioDeb

May 16, 2011
westcentral Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

go to the topic Anybody been magnet fishing?. I think your object is on there. OhioDeb

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread