Thought I Had a Connecticut Colonial Copper, but NOOOOO!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really need to study photos of colonial coppers and other large cents! When I first saw it in the hole, I thought this 1917 British large penny was a Connecticut colonial copper. What a tool! Still a neat coin to find in Rhode Island, but hardly a CT copper!

You can see why I came up with this idea from the two photos below. I saw the trident on the right side of the coin and it looked a lot like a CT copper. Plus, I found an 1817 large cent last year about 40 feet from this spot. That helped to fuel my imagination, I guess.

Oh well, finding a 97 year old coin is still a good day for me...

1917 penny smaller.JPG connecticut copper.jpg

Upvote 9

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know your pain all to much!Thought I had a 1776 colonial dollar medallion not to long ago ,"which it was",until i got it home and saw the word "copy" above the date.After I got over the disgust,I appreciate it for was it is.I can see how that one fooled you.Still a nice find!"I'll trade you":piratehand:

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep on diggin there out there

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a fine coin, Nice treasure. Wait till you get a little older and can't see well, then your imagination runs wild on every target.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a 1905 English penny last year and had NO clue what it was. Yours is the 3rd one I remember posted in the last year. I guess they are a little more common to find than you'd think, given their huge size.

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 1905 English penny last year and had NO clue what it was. Yours is the 3rd one I remember posted in the last year. I guess they are a little more common to find than you'd think, given their huge size.

I guess I've never seen one before, because it really threw me. Probably just as common as a 1917 wheatie, but not a common find over here. Good find, but a CT copper would have been a GREAT find!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, does any know the mintage number for this coin? I tried finding British coin mintages online, but got nowhere. I can find the mintage figures for most U.S. coins, but I hit a wall trying to find the mintage for any British coins.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehh! Same exact thing happened to me, mine was 1927, thought much older though, still cool to find, congrats! 4a.JPG

Last edited:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That hurts , keep at it !

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! Nice find anyhow.
The only thing I knew when I dug up my LC was it was a large green disk, and probably an LC!
That happens to me with rings, it's gold shinny and sparkles! But is it real...no.
How ever one of these days.....we all do the happy dance! GL. HH!

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ehh! Same exact thing happened to me, mine was 1927, thought much older though, still cool to find, congrats!

Thanks! Your coin is really green as well. Tried cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide, but it's still green! My green wheaties usually clean up well with a hot HP bath, but it didn't touch the green on this coin. I think I'll leave it alone and be happy having a 1917 British penny with a nice green patina.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! Your coin is really green as well. Tried cleaning it with hydrogen peroxide, but it's still green! My green wheaties usually clean up well with a hot HP bath, but it didn't touch the green on this coin. I think I'll leave it alone and be happy having a 1917 British penny with a nice green patina.

I haven't checked the composition, but the one I found looks bronze!
aqabybuh.jpg

OP
OP
FreeBirdTim

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't checked the composition, but the one I found looks bronze!

Wow, that's a really nice dug penny! I did a little research and you are correct, they are bronze and not copper! I guess that might explain why my HP bath didn't do a heck of a lot for it.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
I once had two coppers in an outing. One looked like a large cent (at least it was a similar size), and the second was twice as thick. Thought for sure the super thick was an early U.S. large cent, and the thinner one a later issue. Turns out the thin coin was a Canadian bank token and the other was a "regular" large cent. Was a bit of a surprise

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread