Thought the NYS Civil War Cuff Button Was Going To Be The Big Find...NOPE!

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Spent three hours in the woods that has seen a lot of history here in upstate NY. Found the NYS Civil War cuff button and was really excited; still has most of the gilt! Dug a bunch of 22 shells and shotgun shells. One signal I thought was another shotgun shell and out popped the lead seal. Anyone have any ideas on its ID. Well, getting pooped, shoulder a little achy, and dying of thirst. Passed an area in the woods with lots of iron (probably some fencing) and switched to 2TF with the eTrac. Got a solid 12-47. Hmmm. Only one inch under the rocky soil was this 1831 Capped quarter. YES! 44th silver coin for the year and it's a beut.

aj

DSC01755.JPG DSC01754.JPG

Upvote 25
OP
OP
ajaj

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That button is in amazing shape. Who is the manufacturer? There is one company who is known for buttons that retain a large percentage of gilt like that as I've dug one of their buttons. Great job!

The button was manufactured by Scovill, Waterbury; it can just be read from the photo. The "soil" where both of these were pulled was coarse broken rocks from an eroded rocky ridge; no farmers' fertilizer to eat in to the items. Now, when I got home, I put a dab of Naval Jelly on my thumb and forefinger and VERY lightly rubbed the button. I was not expecting such a bright shine after a few seconds. Then rinsed the button under warm water. For the Capped quarter, just running lukewarm water from the tap. To be honest, I kind of wish I hadn't; the dirt added some contrast and created more eye appeal. However, leaving dirt on a silver coin can create scratches later.

aj

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh hell yeah! That is my kind of hunt. Huge quality and one coin and awesome relic for the collection

Fingerlakes119

Aug 16, 2013
Finger Lakes Region Of NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Profind
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice finds. My sons found a number of those NYS buttons this summer. Yours looks great. Capped bust is super. HH George

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. Researched the button...Albert NY30a, c1850s...so, technically not Civil War, but I'll take it. Already put it in a sports card holder with cotton and a history description.

aj
Nice finds, love the quarter. Vino is right, you see a lot more capped bust halves posted than quarters. Your button is considered Civil War because it would have been in use at the time of the war.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread