Thoughts on CRH

eolson3

Apr 11, 2011
I have been doing a lot of thinking latley. On God, history, money and other stuff I think about when the wife aint around to bring some sense back into me while I am on Spring Break. ( I am one of those evil teachers ruining the country). I took a look at the small cache I have been able to amass in just a few months. I was filled with sorrow, for myself, my family and my country. I saw my silver Walkers, Seateds, Mercs, and franklins and thought " there, that is my Grandfathers money!" I was filled with pride. I then see my 40% ers. Less bright, Less heavy but still powerfull, and I think "there is my fathers money". I marvel at the fact that he has worked the same factory for 35 years, moved his way up and provided for a family of 6. As I pulled into my last dump bank today I ponder the fact that my money is something I seek to get rid of. To dump. I know its Fiat. Fake. All this searching to obtain just a small portion of my ancestors money and security. Gas after all, and I know this might not be perfect reasoning, still cost 25 cents. You just need a silver quarter. Part of me laments the increased competition, the part that wants it all for myself. I was five min. behind one of you all day, kept hearing " a guy came in five min ago". Its ok though, who ever you are, you missed a Ben in the tray. But in the end, I would rather one of my fellow Americans find wild silver and increase thier families security during coming hard times, than to see it get culled by some corporation or bank. Long live the hunt.

Upvote 0

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eolson3,
Are you a history teacher? I am an "evil" assistant principal who was a history professor/instructor for several years. CRH is my sanity--what is left of it. :laughing9:

HSH,
apush :read2:

mleblanc138

Feb 24, 2011
Orem, Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your grandfather or father had $1000 or more in Walking Libertys or 40%s(back when Silver wasn't worth much), they would probably want to dump some of them too since it's a lot easier to carry 10 20s than 10 rolls of Halves. There's always buying Silver outright if you truely seek to get rid of your money, since dumping coins just turns your money into electronic form.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Well.. if you think deeper.. if you had $1000 worth of Walkers or Frankies back then.. that is a whole lot of money. That would go a long ways.

Remember during the civil war.. soldiers would get something like $50/month in pay. A Morgan dollar would buy a whole lot back then.

It's just inflation.. every country experiences it until they re-evaluate their currency and redo everything. I don't know of any country that never experienced inflation. It's simple.. if you are a government and you have the ability to create money out of thin air.. why wouldn't you do it?

OP
OP
eolson3

eolson3

Apr 11, 2011
it was a bottle of wine. But i think i made a point. the value of our money is going down. And i m worried bout my kids future. lol

bsktbllsam

Apr 16, 2011
apush said:
eolson3,
Are you a history teacher? I am an "evil" assistant principal who was a history professor/instructor for several years. CRH is my sanity--what is left of it. :laughing9:

HSH,

Oh heavenly blessed beauty. Whose beauty is divine and everlasting. I fantasize about you being my assistant principal and I have been a bad boy and you teach me a "lesson".

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bsktbllsam said:
Oh heavenly blessed beauty. Whose beauty is divine and everlasting. I fantasize about you being my assistant principal and I have been a bad boy and you teach me a "lesson".

CreepyMeter.jpg

CHAINCHOMP

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2010
Colorado Springs CO.
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QS
bsktbllsam said:
apush said:
eolson3,

HSH,

WTF???

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
yeah i feel ur sadness...for myself.

although at 50 im not super old , im sorry not

to have been born earlier.

fake money farce will screw up all.

gotta grab what u can in silver now.

in a few more years well be cheering for

one war nickel and 2 wheats.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with most of what the poster was saying. My coin shop just shipped off a huge bag of Kens, Bens, Walkers and culled Barbers. I absolutely love the old currency and marvel at the design and thought put into it. That is why I buy every Barber half, quarter and dime I can find. Most of you have seen the complete set of Barber halfs I put together, well, I have updated many to Fine and XF condition. They are beautiful and I get to slap the old ones from the book in a 2X2 and place them in a 2X2 box which by the way is now complete filled.

Walkers - Seven AU or better, 80 Barber Quarters - Some waiting to be placed in 2X2, 10 Barber Dimes, Seated Half, Seated Quarter, Seated Dime, 15 1970-D Kens, two Mercs - 1916 - Not a D :laughing7: and a 1923.

My only solace is that in fifteen years the number of these coins will have drastically reduced and make mine more valuable. I also now have two 1914 Barber Halfs in my collection (RARE KEY DATE) :thumbsup:

In closing, my sentiments echo those of the original post minus the alcohol. I will continue to snag all I can get, read everything I can find on our old currency and continue to "BUY ALL THE SILVER YOU CAN", at least for the next year or two.

Happy Hunting to all and may everyone hit a vein of silver that is deep and continues forever.

ancesthntr

Apr 15, 2011
I agree with the original poster's rather dark attitude about our economic future. I'm an "evil lawyer" (Estate Planning, not an ahole litigator), but I have a good sense of history. My paternal GF came here in 1923, and probably held money in his hands that circulated during the Civil War (but he kept none of it). ALL of his dimes, quarters and halves (and, of course, silver dollars - they actually made them then) were real money, not the fiat crap we have now. Dad's money was all silver until he was over 30, and he grew up and worked in a country that still had a sense of purpose and some self-control and, more importantly, a real future. I'm now 50, and I have culled some silver over the years (damn, but I wish I had started CRHing in the 70s!!), but I'm seeing this nation turn into a Turd World, unorganized, every-man-for-himself ordinary garbage country...and I fear for my kids' futures. They will only know of real money from my collecting, or on the other side of a currency revaluation (and I pray that we don't have to go through the crash that will be required to have such an event, even as I know that it is inevitable). We're a nation of people looking for hand outs, and voting in the greediest and most corrupt politicians imaginable - so long as they sound and look good while promising us the Moon. This simply cannot end well.

My father told me a story once of an incident when he was an older teenager. His father was from Russia, and got out right after the Revolution. One day a bunch of Grampa's relatives and friends from the old country were at his house, and since it was the height of the Cold War the topic of the strength of the US came up. Dad made the remark that "we're the richest and most powerful nation ever, and we'll be here forever." Whereupon Grandpa turned around and said, "Sonny boy, when I was 11 years old Russia celebrated the 300th anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty - and the Czar's rule extended over 11 time zones. My grandfather's grandfather's grandfather couldn't remember a time without the Romanovs in power. The Czar WAS forever - until only 5 years later when he and his whole family were murdered by the Bolsheviks. Never forget this my son, NOTHING is forever, not even this country, as powerful and rich as it is."

Dad has said to me that he never, in his worst nightmare, expected to see this nation fall so far, so fast. He thought that we'd be like Rome, and last for 500 or more years. Well, not at this rate. As we're going, our experiment in Liberty will be over in 5 or less years, destroyed by our own greed and our willingness (eagerness?) to look the other way regarding the things that Wall STreet and the government have been doing.

Oh, BTW, I'm not drinking right now.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ancesthntr said:
I agree with the original poster's rather dark attitude about our economic future. I'm an "evil lawyer" (Estate Planning, not an ahole litigator), but I have a good sense of history. My paternal GF came here in 1923, and probably held money in his hands that circulated during the Civil War (but he kept none of it). ALL of his dimes, quarters and halves (and, of course, silver dollars - they actually made them then) were real money, not the fiat crap we have now. Dad's money was all silver until he was over 30, and he grew up and worked in a country that still had a sense of purpose and some self-control and, more importantly, a real future. I'm now 50, and I have culled some silver over the years (damn, but I wish I had started CRHing in the 70s!!), but I'm seeing this nation turn into a Turd World, unorganized, every-man-for-himself ordinary garbage country...and I fear for my kids' futures. They will only know of real money from my collecting, or on the other side of a currency revaluation (and I pray that we don't have to go through the crash that will be required to have such an event, even as I know that it is inevitable). We're a nation of people looking for hand outs, and voting in the greediest and most corrupt politicians imaginable - so long as they sound and look good while promising us the Moon. This simply cannot end well.

My father told me a story once of an incident when he was an older teenager. His father was from Russia, and got out right after the Revolution. One day a bunch of Grampa's relatives and friends from the old country were at his house, and since it was the height of the Cold War the topic of the strength of the US came up. Dad made the remark that "we're the richest and most powerful nation ever, and we'll be here forever." Whereupon Grandpa turned around and said, "Sonny boy, when I was 11 years old Russia celebrated the 300th anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty - and the Czar's rule extended over 11 time zones. My grandfather's grandfather's grandfather couldn't remember a time without the Romanovs in power. The Czar WAS forever - until only 5 years later when he and his whole family were murdered by the Bolsheviks. Never forget this my son, NOTHING is forever, not even this country, as powerful and rich as it is."

Dad has said to me that he never, in his worst nightmare, expected to see this nation fall so far, so fast. He thought that we'd be like Rome, and last for 500 or more years. Well, not at this rate. As we're going, our experiment in Liberty will be over in 5 or less years, destroyed by our own greed and our willingness (eagerness?) to look the other way regarding the things that Wall STreet and the government have been doing.

Oh, BTW, I'm not drinking right now.

Good post. Thanks for sharing.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You teachers aren't evil just the unions you belong to are.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions