Thoughts on this Gimlet Tool...

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug this item a couple miles from Ohio's only Revolutionary War fort (Ft. Laurens). It was found near a river crossing that was used back then. The same crossing was also used in a 1764 military expedition (Bouquet). I also included a picture I found online of a tool that matches mine with the caption "Rev war 18th century" http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/rev-war-18th-century-iron-gimlet-tool-hand So, now this has me excited thinking I may have dug an item that dates to the Revolutionary War.

The tool measures 4" in length. The handle is 2" and the diameter of the shaft is 3/16".

Any thoughts on if this piece dates to the Revolutionary War?

-Swartzie

Attachments

• gimlet_a.jpg
    gimlet_a.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 1,075
  • gimlet_b.jpg
    gimlet_b.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 827
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,019
  • gimlet_a.jpg
    gimlet_a.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 865
  • gimlet_b.jpg
    gimlet_b.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 798
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 834
Upvote 0

Lucas

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2010
U of A
Hard to say, since they were made for so long, and are still made. Worthpoint = any seller's description, whether they know anything or not.

Most gimlets had wood handles, so keep your eye out for well dated ones with metal handles.

lrgcent

Sep 8, 2010
Tioga County, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites Prizm IV, Pistol Probe Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In northern Pa I find these allot at flea markets and antique shops and most sellers do not know what these are and list them as an old drill, I buy these for usually for under $5.00, I have two metal handle ones and two wood handle ones that I've hung on to, I've seen them sell on eBay for $15 to $20 bucks, most list as civil war era, interesting if some could be earl er! Nice Find!

Sabot

Dec 12, 2010
Could be 18th century or could be 19th century unless you found other stuff in context with it hard to say. These metal handled gimlets did exist during the 18th century, but they also existed in the 19th century. To see a metal gimlet basically identical to yours from a 1750s-1760s context from Ft Ligonier in PA see-

Archaeological Investigation of Fort Ligonier, 1960 – 1965 by Grimm. You can buy this book which identifies many, many other 18th century items ranging from cowbells to combs in it.

http://fortligonier.org/shop.php

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sabot said:
Could be 18th century or could be 19th century unless you found other stuff in context with it hard to say. These metal handled gimlets did exist during the 18th century, but they also existed in the 19th century. To see a metal gimlet basically identical to yours from a 1750s-1760s context from Ft Ligonier in PA see-

Archaeological Investigation of Fort Ligonier, 1960 – 1965 by Grimm. You can buy this book which identifies many, many other 18th century items ranging from cowbells to combs in it.

http://fortligonier.org/shop.php

Thanks for the information and the link. I just might have to pick up a copy of that book. I have found a number of rifle balls and molded shot in the same location. But, then again, they really can't be dated.

-Swartzie

DPA

Dec 23, 2014
ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bolivar area gimlet tool

Just came across your gimlet tool. I live near, and do a lot of searching in this area. There are a number of 18th century sites within a 3 mile range of Fort Laurens. I would say that this tool is of the period. Any other artifacts found where you recovered this? Could give you more info & would share with you 18th c. material I have found in the region over the years...DPA

OP
OP
Swartzie

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just came across your gimlet tool. I live near, and do a lot of searching in this area. There are a number of 18th century sites within a 3 mile range of Fort Laurens. I would say that this tool is of the period. Any other artifacts found where you recovered this? Could give you more info & would share with you 18th c. material I have found in the region over the years...DPA

Awesome! I sent you a private message with more info. We'll have to do some hunting together this spring.

-Swartzie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread