Three barbers took a spill in the snow today

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am too impatient to wait for the snow to melt, so I took my chances on finding shallower items in the woods today. I was meandering around the woods for about an hour getting pretty much nothing, when I got a definite high coin sound, although a bit jumpy tonewise and on the VDI. I dug my plug and quickly found a Barber dime. Thinking that coin really didn't match the sounds I had gotten, I rescanned my dirt pile and recovered a Barber quarter. While I thought that explained things, I nonetheless rescanned again and found an 1897 V nickel. Now I thought for sure I was done, but I scanned one more time, and found the final coin, another Barber dime. This is my first Barber spill ever, and they are all in fairly nice shape, especially the quarter. Still, sometimes you just can't make a guy happy. As I was pulling these Barbers out of the snow covered ground, I was thinking why can't they be Seated Liberties. Of course, had they been Mercuries, I would have wished they had been Barbers! I know I sound like an ingrate and that I was truly blessed today; however, it's tough not to be greedy in this hobby sometimes. Thanks for checking out my post. Happy Hunting!

EDIT: Added photo of nickel, which was actually 1896. Cleaned it with ketchup. Looks like one of the dimes was resting against it all those years in the hole and protected her face.
20210205_131436.jpg

Attachments

• 20210203_203339.jpg
    20210203_203339.jpg
    604.2 KB · Views: 127
  • 20210203_203404.jpg
    20210203_203404.jpg
    483.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 20210203_203429.jpg
    20210203_203429.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Upvote 51

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Epic spill, awesome and thanks for posting

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver spill-that would put a smile on many a mug.
It's great to see somebody isn't afraid of a bit of snow.
Easy to see where one has detected when there's snow-basically it shows how much I suck at covering all the ground. :laughing7:

Very funny. Thanks! The snow does make it a bit easier to see where you have been, though gridding in an overgrown woods is still challenging. I don't mind the snow too much, as long as it is not too deep or sticking to the coil. I am thinking the snow might actually have insulated the ground a bit, keeping it from freezing. Still would rather see it melt though.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on an excellent coin spill. I think your attitude, coincides with where you live and what you guys in the Northeast have the potential to find. You find Seated coins up that way, like we find Barbers and Mercs where I'm at. We do find Seated's, but they're not the norm. I would have the same thought, if I had found a Rosie. First thing I would think, is geez, wish it was a Merc or Barber ! We always wish for a little more. Nothing wrong with that. All I know, is that where I'm at, that would be one great coin spill to dig. Again, congrats on a great coin spill.

Thanks! People in the Northeast, the Mid-Atlantic, and southern coastal states do seem to find a lot of old coins. Personally, Seated Liberties are pretty scarce for me. I will try not to be too critical of myself, as it must be common to want something a little older in this hobby. Thanks again.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many years ago, I found....Get back to that spot as soon as the snow ...

Wow... What a place you had found. Never had a spot quite like that, but I'm always hoping. This place definitely wasn't a swimming hole, but I am going back again, that's for sure. Thanks!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Out here I've been tectin' on and off since mid 1980's and I have never dug a Barber quarter of half. I've got a bunch of dimes, maybe 16 to 20, but nothing bigger. I just managed to find my first seated, a dime, in 2017.

Justs some perspective! I hope you score some seated or older this year.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet pocket spill, love your new old Barbers fellow Mass digger. Drove to Cape Cod from the Berkshires yesterday and was surprised to see snow all the way, wasn't until I was almost to the ocean that it disappeared!

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Out here I've been tectin' on and off since mid 1980's and I have never dug a Barber quarter of half. I've got a bunch of dimes, maybe 16 to 20, but nothing bigger. I just managed to find my first seated, a dime, in 2017.

Justs some perspective! I hope you score some seated or older this year.

Thanks! Hope you find the barber quarter and half that have eluded you. Congrats on the seated liberty; hope you got a date you liked and can score another one soon. I am a bit spoiled being able to detect around here, I suppose, and will try to remember that.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet pocket spill, love your new old Barbers fellow Mass digger. Drove to Cape Cod from the Berkshires yesterday and was surprised to see snow all the way, wasn't until I was almost to the ocean that it disappeared!

Thanks! The Cape got snow, but not quite as much as in land. Nice hunting the Cape beaches now, as the bridge traffic is better and the parking a lot easier. Hope you had some luck. I would like to make a trip there again soon myself.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Used the ketchup method to clean this heavily encrusted nickel. Worked pretty well. I believe the dimes were butt up against this nickel for all those years in the hole, as her face and a dime sized portion of the back were in pretty good shape.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one great coin spill! I give you a lot of credit for getting out there after all that snow we got here in Mass. Makes me feel like I'm slacking... Guess I better get off my butt, and go find something.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome spill! I love how the V nickel got protected by the dime! So cool. I have heard good things about ketchup cleaning nickels

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very funny. Thanks! The snow does make it a bit easier to see where you have been, though gridding in an overgrown woods is still challenging. I don't mind the snow too much, as long as it is not too deep or sticking to the coil. I am thinking the snow might actually have insulated the ground a bit, keeping it from freezing. Still would rather see it melt though.

I agree with both of you! I saw a UK detectorist put on a closed coil cover, so mud and snow didn't stick to the insides of his open coil. Crud can be flicked fairly easily off that way.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one great coin spill! I give you a lot of credit for getting out there after all that snow we got here in Mass. Makes me feel like I'm slacking... Guess I better get off my butt, and go find something.

Thank you. It was a great coin spill, though nowhere near your awesome Banner spill. Snow not too deep here, so it was manageable. Might give it another shot Sunday before the next round of snow. Give it a try, you have nothing to lose. Good luck.

OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an awesome spill! I love how the V nickel got protected by the dime! So cool. I have heard good things about ketchup cleaning nickels

Thanks. I too like how one coin protected the other. I think it was actually a V nickel sandwich, as you can see in the photos. 20210205_182834.jpg 20210205_182947.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
lenmac65

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with both of you! I saw a UK detectorist put on a closed coil cover, so mud and snow didn't stick to the insides of his open coil. Crud can be flicked fairly easily off that way.

Closed coil cover would definitely help. Thanks for the post!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another amazing Mass hunt- Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread