Three Guys Taking a Dump!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you might like to see what I regard as my best find, although from some years ago, and for historical reasons rather than value. It came from the Thames foreshore, east of London. Itā€™s lead, 42mm (a little over an inch and a half) in diameter and a thick chunky thing.

It took some aggressive cleaning, including the use of an industrial product used for restoring the finish on roofing lead, to bring out the detail but frustratingly I couldnā€™t make out what I thought was a date at the bottom.

Dsc_0603.jpg Dsc_0604.jpg

The curious thing is that the wording of the legends is mostly (but not completely) in reversed mirror image, with numerous errors. Almost as if produced by someone illiterate or not bright enough to realise that an engraved die produces a reversed cast. What is sometimes known in the numismatic world as ā€œblunderedā€. Thereā€™s a latin quote: CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCVNT which has been used as a motto by various states at different times and I was leaning towards it being Dutch.

The hilarious thing is that on one side there are three guys with their trousers down, taking a dump(!) and the other side shows three guys having a dust-up with swords. My belief was that it probably represented a satirical observation on the contempt shown by some group of three European countries for a treaty or squabbling about territories, borders and empires. A bit like the period satirical cartoon prints you sometimes see. But, without a date, I didnā€™t know which of many such historical disputes it might relate to.

Thanks to those fine folks at the British Museum, it was identified as a satirical medal produced in Germany in 1714, expressing national discontent felt at the conclusion of the ā€˜Peace of Utrechtā€™ and a belief that the peace treaties signed in 1713/1714 by the belligerents who participated in the War of the Spanish Succession wouldnā€™t hold good.

They have a better condition example in their collection (dratā€¦ theirs is silver), reproduced below. Itā€™s rare but I donā€™t know how rare for those made in lead, although I've never seen another one. Note that theirs is reversed too, so I have mirrored the pictures in Photoshop for ease of reading:

BM.jpg
[Copyright of the Trustees of the British Museum]

Obverse: Three men, an Englishman, a Frenchman, and a Dutchman, all partially undressed, defecating under a wall. All three have words issuing from their mouths. The Dutchman is smoking a pipe. CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCVNT (By concord small things increase)
Dutchman: IK MAEK MEE (I do it also)
Frenchman: SI VOUS PLAIT (If you please)
Englishman: I AM PLEASE
NOOT BREEKT ISEN (Necessity breaks Iron)
PAX OU TREC (Peace or dirt, and also a ā€œpunā€ for the Peace of Utrecht.)

Reverse: The same three men, fully dressed, throw at each other the contents of the heap which they are represented making on the other side.
DISCORDIA MAXIMA DILABVNTVR (By discord the greatest things will fall)
Dutchman: WAT! BEHAEGT U DAT? (What! Does that please you?)
Frenchman: SANS REGARD (Without regard)
Englishman: FIE, WHAT IS THAT!
DAT SOL IE HIER BEWISN (That I will prove here)
PAX IN TREC (Peace in dirt, reiterating the ā€œpunā€ on Peace of Utrecht on the obverse)

Upvote 47
OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope that the mods don't feel the need to take this post down... it shows nothing more exciting than a bare lady's bottom and hopefully doesn't offend anyone's sensibilities.

After my medal was identified, I trawled for political cartoons relating to the Peace of Utrecht and this is one that I found:

Peace of Utrecht.jpg

It shows one of the treaties being signed, and the imagery in the background is not accidental. It's a not very subtle suggestion that someone is about to be shafted and that someone is (metaphorically) Queen Anne of Britain.

Itā€™s a ā€˜Whigā€™ cartoon (a British political party opposed to absolute monarchy). Although the treaties put an end to any aspirations that Philip V could take the Spanish throne while also retaining a claim to the French throne, the Whigs neither liked nor trusted France. They felt Anne had given in too easily and that the territorial provisions which were part of the agreement didnā€™t go far enough.

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Red-Coat what an amazing find! As I always say "every artifact has a story to tell if we're to listen" and that goes triple for this one. Way cool!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The British Museum's description of the object:
"Three men, an Englishman, a Frenchman, and a Dutchman, all partially undressed, defecating under a wall. All three have words issuing from their mouths. The Dutchman is smoking a pipe." (obverse)" The same three men, fully dressed, throw at each other the contents of the heap which they are represented making on the other side." (reverse)
Don........

OP
OP
Red-Coat

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The British Museum's description of the object:
"Three men, an Englishman, a Frenchman, and a Dutchman, all partially undressed, defecating under a wall. All three have words issuing from their mouths. The Dutchman is smoking a pipe." (obverse)" The same three men, fully dressed, throw at each other the contents of the heap which they are represented making on the other side." (reverse)
Don........

Yes... if you read the original post, you'll see that the coin and medal curator at the BM gave me a more extensive description.

If I remember correctly, he said that he knew of only one other example (in a museum in Amsterdam?) which is also in silver, rather than lead (lead alloy?) like mine.

[Addition: My memory was incorrect. When I checked back, he said there is a similar, but not identical, silver example in the Royal Collection at Brussels, Belgium.]

Last edited:

Beezly

Mar 20, 2017
Finger Lakes, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold,
BH Land Ranger Pro,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Minelab Equinox 900,
Whites TRX,
Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought you might like to see what I regard as my best find, although from some years ago, and for historical reasons rather than value. It came from the Thames foreshore, east of London. Itā€™s lead, 42mm (a little over an inch and a half) in diameter and a thick chunky thing.

It took some aggressive cleaning, including the use of an industrial product used for restoring the finish on roofing lead, to bring out the detail but frustratingly I couldnā€™t make out what I thought was a date at the bottom.

View attachment 1833005 View attachment 1833006

The curious thing is that the wording of the legends is mostly (but not completely) in reversed mirror image, with numerous errors. Almost as if produced by someone illiterate or not bright enough to realise that an engraved die produces a reversed cast. What is sometimes known in the numismatic world as ā€œblunderedā€. Thereā€™s a latin quote: CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCVNT which has been used as a motto by various states at different times and I was leaning towards it being Dutch.

The hilarious thing is that on one side there are three guys with their trousers down, taking a dump(!) and the other side shows three guys having a dust-up with swords. My belief was that it probably represented a satirical observation on the contempt shown by some group of three European countries for a treaty or squabbling about territories, borders and empires. A bit like the period satirical cartoon prints you sometimes see. But, without a date, I didnā€™t know which of many such historical disputes it might relate to.

Thanks to those fine folks at the British Museum, it was identified as a satirical medal produced in Germany in 1714, expressing national discontent felt at the conclusion of the ā€˜Peace of Utrechtā€™ and a belief that the peace treaties signed in 1713/1714 by the belligerents who participated in the War of the Spanish Succession wouldnā€™t hold good.

They have a better condition example in their collection (dratā€¦ theirs is silver), reproduced below. Itā€™s rare but I donā€™t know how rare for those made in lead, although I've never seen another one. Note that theirs is reversed too, so I have mirrored the pictures in Photoshop for ease of reading:

View attachment 1833007
[Copyright of the Trustees of the British Museum]

Obverse: Three men, an Englishman, a Frenchman, and a Dutchman, all partially undressed, defecating under a wall. All three have words issuing from their mouths. The Dutchman is smoking a pipe. CONCORDIA RES PARVAE CRESCVNT (By concord small things increase)
Dutchman: IK MAEK MEE (I do it also)
Frenchman: SI VOUS PLAIT (If you please)
Englishman: I AM PLEASE
NOOT BREEKT ISEN (Necessity breaks Iron)
PAX OU TREC (Peace or dirt, and also a ā€œpunā€ for the Peace of Utrecht.)

Reverse: The same three men, fully dressed, throw at each other the contents of the heap which they are represented making on the other side.
DISCORDIA MAXIMA DILABVNTVR (By discord the greatest things will fall)
Dutchman: WAT! BEHAEGT U DAT? (What! Does that please you?)
Frenchman: SANS REGARD (Without regard)
Englishman: FIE, WHAT IS THAT!
DAT SOL IE HIER BEWISN (That I will prove here)
PAX IN TREC (Peace in dirt, reiterating the ā€œpunā€ on Peace of Utrecht on the obverse)
That is an amazing piece of history! I love it, thanks for sharing and the history behind it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread