Three hours on the great Bavarian fields...

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out for about three hours today on two fields. Rain, sleet and a little snow but, all bundled up and prepared for, it is easy to deal with and it was a fun hunt! I also found a dead deer today, small deer, hunter probably shot it, the deer took off and he could not find it, the deer wasn’t even bloated yet. I might go report it tomorrow to the hunter as I know him and he has also offered me his land to detect below a medieval castle. I also found a target I could not get to, I suspect it is a cannon ball as it is about 50 meters behind an offensive position that attacked the castle in 1704, I also found a cannon ball there well over a year ago. Hope to check it out tomorrow with a bigger shovel. My small 8” Minelab XT70 coil just can’t go beyond 12” without a reason, I did check the walls and widened the hole, what ever it is, it is deep, probably a manhole cover, LOL, but I doubt it. Here’s the finds, found four coins, obverse of an 1875, 1940 and a 1925. The fourth coin was a crusty coin I tossed.
1Feb08coinsO.jpg

Reverse of the coins.
1Feb08coinsR.jpg

An old religious cross pendant with wooden inlay that is disintegrating as I type and an aluminum thimble with an advertisement on it that says “Seide Kauft Guttermanns” or “Silk Buy Gutermanns”.
1Feb08crossthimb.jpg

This relic looks like a tompion or a gun barrel protection cap, maybe early 1800s, made of copper. I might be totally wrong and welcome any ID help. An American Nickel (5 Cent coin) will fit into the hole with some play. I have seen several barrel protection pieces recently but they seem to all be made of brass. I had a nice hunt today! HH, Mike
1Feb08tompion.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread