Three Little Eagles sitting in a tree....not...in the GROUND!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh what a pleasure it is working a "hunch" and finding a totally untouched site. That's what my buddy and I did today. Just a cut soybean field. Right off a big road. Found lots of stuff including a busted crotal bell, 1829 matron head cent, parts of early 19th century brass drawer pulls, a Rev War period musket ball, four colonial buttons, a small CW eagle button, lots of brass I still have to get out of the bucket and identify and two CW period shell casings, still have to measure them, but have found these on CW sites before. Plus these little guys. I thought at first they were Indian Wars, but finally pulled a backmark from one and the are definitely Civil War. Pottery pieces found place the place 1770-1830. The CW buttons date much later than anything else on the site. eagle1.jpg eaglee2.jpg eagle3.jpg

Upvote 22
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was also so much iron in the ground, in a few places you couldn't move the loop without bumping into some. I did pull out two broken colonial horseshoes and a really neat little hand forged and well used wedge, the kind used for splitting wood, although it is on the small side.

Last edited:

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice trio of eagle buttons! :icon_thumleft:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow I wish there was history like that here, great finds !!!!!Thanks for the post!!!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Site was first settled before 1700.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Started cleaning things up. Also got parts of four broken brass spoons, 19th century, a piece of an 18th century shoe buckle, four colonial flat buttons, the two brass rimfire cartridges which are VERY old, some glass, unidentified brass and from site #2 a nice brass skeleton key, three minies, and several quadzillion modern fired bullets. The second site is on a hilltop, and it was blowing really hard. Had to leave after awhile due to the wind.

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think maybe a soldier hung his jacket on that tree,, so many years ago??
Congrats on some really nice finds.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, those are officer's buttons. All were found in the same general area. Right in what would have been in front of the old house. May have simply been tossed out, or the buttons taken off the coat and the coat reused, kind of like the vets do today, although I don't think that happened quite as much in the CW period. The buttons are identical and had to have been off the same coat. Found a smaller toasty one also. My buddy found 3 backs.

So until today, nobody in the whole world even knew there was house there, probably with children, animals, everything. All that's left is a handful of relics. Cemetery is probably on the back hill. Unmarked. Maybe these folks are on someone's genealogy tree. Will never know.

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those buttons look great. Nice save.

HH, RN

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tell ya, "gut feeling" & "hunch" are two more tools we carry in our detecting equipment.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea about a unit. And now that I have cleaned up some of the other stuff, I'm not sure what happened at that house. In the pile of goodies was a .32 rimfire Smith and Wesson cartridge and a .44 Henry cartridge. Somebody doing some bushwhacking? Confederates were nearby burning a rail line. Might have been related. We didn't find any other 1860's or later relics at the site.

angelito1

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2016
FLA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding finds.... just wondering did you obtain permission or did you just go on the field that had just been plowed?

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job following your hunch and locating a home site. Those are the most rewarding ones, and usually have never been detected if there are no above-ground signs of a house.

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are AWESOME!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, had permission and parked the car right in front of the owner's house. That's the ONLY way to do it. Never a need to look over your shoulder. I'll try to get more pics tonight or tomorrow. BTW this field was not disced last fall. It's got soybean stubble on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread