Thrift Store Gold

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Stopped by one of my favorite stores, GW, and checked for jewelry jars. Was about to walk away and saw, at the last minute, a plate of jewelry for about $130.00. It two seconds to say "And I'll take that plate of jewelry. It's not too high in price for me!". It had about 22g of 14k, 6g 10K diamond tennis bracelet, an authentic Pandora bracelet, other random silver, and what I'm sure is 800 silver, a box!
Already sold the necklace for $475 on eBay!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500290951.606601.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500290987.128094.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500291004.623322.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1500291028.981165.jpg The prettiest necklace I've found in a long time. Had to hide it from the wife until after it was on eBay!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:notworthy:

Epic score. Only time I spent anywhere near that much on jewelry at a TS was for a 1/5 diamond ring and band.. only ended up just over doubling my money. It's incredible that they put that out that plate of jewelry for sale. Even the fact that they knew it had value - how did they figure it was only $120 worth!? Fairly certain my GW sends it all to online auction. :(

OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
My GW all send their "good" jewelry to online auctions these days, but the smart managers keep some for in store auctions to keep customers coming. And this particular store puts some in their display case to also keep customers coming. I have actually had $500+ scores from this particular store at least 4 times this year. I went out looking that day thinking "It's been a few weeks, I'm due for a big score...". I have a buddy that hits all of the thrifts within a 60 mile radius full time. If his income is not $100k a year, he's lying. He hits scores like this weekly.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodwill and gold in the same sentence??! The world must be ending! It

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great score, congratulations! :notworthy:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes you just score a little Good Will at a Good Will. Very interesting silver box. From what I'm finding the mark appears to be that of the maker Georg Roth & Co. 1906 to1919. It's listed on the 925/1000 website under Pseudo Hanau makers. Pretty special little item imo. I would have loved to have found that. Glad you spotted that, as I'm sure a few evaluating it had no clue to look a bit closer at it. It can't be silver as it doesn't say .925 or sterling on it ???

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tamrock! I was trying to figure out if the mark was a letter S with a crown. I had it electronically tested yesterday....800 silver. The faded mark underneath the "S" looked like an old 800 mark I've seen before. Thanks for the info and research!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tamrock! I was trying to figure out if the mark was a letter S with a crown. I had it electronically tested yesterday....800 silver. The faded mark underneath the "S" looked like an old 800 mark I've seen before. Thanks for the info and research!
That's what I was thinking also, that worn off little oval would have had the purity stamps of .800 most likely. It's a very nice piece. I love finding old stuff like this in thift shops and flea markets.

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Goodwill and gold in the same sentence??! The world must be ending! It

hot cold hot cold, it's totally cyclical in my neck of the woods. It interesting watching these stores evolve as the years go by. I need a hobby.... Oh wait, got one. :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread