Thrift store silver!

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I've always heard stories about people finding Sterling silver in thrift stores but I've never seen any in all my years of thrifting until today. About $450 melt worth for a little over 3 bucks. woohoo! Haven't checked yet if any might be worth more as actual silverware. (estimating weight on knives based on info from internet) Just mixed in with the usual piles of forks & knives I saw the color & started digging.

Attachments

• DSC07380.JPG
    DSC07380.JPG
    270.9 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 18
OP
OP
gilgar

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
I have found plenty of "Sterling" ware in various thrift shops over the years. I have never found any that were actually solid sterling with the exception of a singular baby cup that was solid .925. Every piece I've seen was plated and mentioned the word "sterling" in some kind of context with other words that makes it ambiguous. I.E. "Sterling Mills" or the like. Yeah, says sterling but in reality, it's plated. Fingers crossed for you on these. Hope the research pans out in your favor!
To me was obvious based on color & weight, not to mention the sound when dropping. and yeah, what little "silver" I have run across in the past was plated with the exception of a couple of small jewelry pieces

OP
OP
gilgar

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
View attachment 2011156 Would like to see the makers marks on all of these.
One mark that I can see on the knives looks an awful lot like STAINLESS.
Yes, all the knife blades are stainless. I personally have never run across any that weren't. About half the knives have STAINLESS on the blade with STERLING HANDLE on the handle and the others have GORHAM SEAMLESS STERLING HANDLE STAINLESS BLADE"on the blades with nothing printed on the handles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions