ConceptualizedNetherlandr
Silver Member
- Joined
- Apr 17, 2014
- Messages
- 3,498
- Reaction score
- 4,469
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- Sagittarius A*
- Primary Interest:
- Other
- #1
Thread Owner
Thrift Store ‘types’
I have been giving thought to this.
Search: thrift store
noun
1. A shop that sells used articles, especially clothing, as to benefit a charitable organization.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Doesn’t really cover the entire range for me. Needs re-sale & second hand at least. So I am taking the time to list out the ones I encounter around me. Not necessarily used nor donated. So I offer this, in no particular order:
Type A – Goodwill.org, SVDP , Salvation Army. Various beneficiaries and programs. Mostly Anonymous donations unless you need a receipt for tax deductions, then you get your paperwork when it sells. Sometimes they stock new junk.
Type B – single beneficiary Mostly Anonymous donations unless you need a receipt for tax deductions, then you get your paperwork when it sells. Near me is an example of a retirement community when they move in they might liquidate their ‘estate’ and what the family/others do not want they donate. Proceeds go to the operation to benefit the residents. This one has wealthy residents and top quality stuff. Many excellent finds for cheap. They recently self funded a million+ $ two story expansion.
Type C – Owners make their living off half the sales to cover expenses and salaries. This one has about 30 orgs you can pick from to get the proceeds from your donations. Or you can specify a cause. Every price tag has a 2 digit alpha code to ID the beneficiary. Donors only ID for taxes. This is private and I believe for profit. Not many big$ items so prolly not much tax accounting. They get so much stuff it is difficult to move it out fast enough and they close down donations for weeks at a time and cut prices to make room. Example, last week I was nearby and stopped in to find everything was half off. One time all watches were $1. I picked 2 gold watches (real ) and a brand new in packaging xxx$ retail genuine designer womenz, gave to a gf. She sold it - LOL. Tons of clothing, not much man toys. So many bargains had over the decades.
Type D – Consignment, mostly. Private owner second hand store selling for others. House takes half, seller takes half. ( ish ) Owners appear to be authorized to perform/negotiate drastic price reductions. Not sure how that is settled. I’ve scored deep discounts so he can’t be eating it. And he needs to keep his stock rotated, or not making sales. Every price tag ID’s the seller. Most do not deal with clothing, that is low$ stuff. Some exceptions for ‘gear’ type stuff. Items typically more$ than donation places and smaller storefront, classier stuff, not overcrowded with stock. More antiques, quality, vintage, men’s tools!! Higher end than thrift but I don’t see much value difference.
Some buy at estate sales or outright buy estates and buy other things rather than consignment sales. Still thriftish level.
A few variations on this theme. Some I never revisited. Jerk owner, stuff I’d never want, etc.
Type E – community based. Donations, prolly don’t need tax docs, volunteer labor, everything after costs go to helping those in need. Even with food. They get to shop free, some get vouchers to shop there from other charitable orgs. Some stuff is free to anyone. Local gov helping units are associated. I was in there in the early spring I think. One lady kept hanging on me trying to get me to volunteer. Or she wanted to sit in my hot tub? She showed me a brand new pair of levi boots, my size. Forced them on me for $7. Gave me her card in a last ditch effort as I left.
I just recalled this and banged it out on the key board. Prolly overlooked some types.
Can you add them in?
I have been giving thought to this.
Search: thrift store
noun
1. A shop that sells used articles, especially clothing, as to benefit a charitable organization.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
Doesn’t really cover the entire range for me. Needs re-sale & second hand at least. So I am taking the time to list out the ones I encounter around me. Not necessarily used nor donated. So I offer this, in no particular order:
Type A – Goodwill.org, SVDP , Salvation Army. Various beneficiaries and programs. Mostly Anonymous donations unless you need a receipt for tax deductions, then you get your paperwork when it sells. Sometimes they stock new junk.
Type B – single beneficiary Mostly Anonymous donations unless you need a receipt for tax deductions, then you get your paperwork when it sells. Near me is an example of a retirement community when they move in they might liquidate their ‘estate’ and what the family/others do not want they donate. Proceeds go to the operation to benefit the residents. This one has wealthy residents and top quality stuff. Many excellent finds for cheap. They recently self funded a million+ $ two story expansion.
Type C – Owners make their living off half the sales to cover expenses and salaries. This one has about 30 orgs you can pick from to get the proceeds from your donations. Or you can specify a cause. Every price tag has a 2 digit alpha code to ID the beneficiary. Donors only ID for taxes. This is private and I believe for profit. Not many big$ items so prolly not much tax accounting. They get so much stuff it is difficult to move it out fast enough and they close down donations for weeks at a time and cut prices to make room. Example, last week I was nearby and stopped in to find everything was half off. One time all watches were $1. I picked 2 gold watches (real ) and a brand new in packaging xxx$ retail genuine designer womenz, gave to a gf. She sold it - LOL. Tons of clothing, not much man toys. So many bargains had over the decades.
Type D – Consignment, mostly. Private owner second hand store selling for others. House takes half, seller takes half. ( ish ) Owners appear to be authorized to perform/negotiate drastic price reductions. Not sure how that is settled. I’ve scored deep discounts so he can’t be eating it. And he needs to keep his stock rotated, or not making sales. Every price tag ID’s the seller. Most do not deal with clothing, that is low$ stuff. Some exceptions for ‘gear’ type stuff. Items typically more$ than donation places and smaller storefront, classier stuff, not overcrowded with stock. More antiques, quality, vintage, men’s tools!! Higher end than thrift but I don’t see much value difference.
Some buy at estate sales or outright buy estates and buy other things rather than consignment sales. Still thriftish level.
A few variations on this theme. Some I never revisited. Jerk owner, stuff I’d never want, etc.
Type E – community based. Donations, prolly don’t need tax docs, volunteer labor, everything after costs go to helping those in need. Even with food. They get to shop free, some get vouchers to shop there from other charitable orgs. Some stuff is free to anyone. Local gov helping units are associated. I was in there in the early spring I think. One lady kept hanging on me trying to get me to volunteer. Or she wanted to sit in my hot tub? She showed me a brand new pair of levi boots, my size. Forced them on me for $7. Gave me her card in a last ditch effort as I left.
I just recalled this and banged it out on the key board. Prolly overlooked some types.
Can you add them in?







