jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of weeks ago i took the kids camping (7 and 10) found a spot not far from camp where a person could dig Thunder eggs.This is something we have never done before.Well to say the least i now have a 5 gallon bucket full.We stopped at a private rock ranch and had one of the larger ones cut.My question is it difficult to polish the thunder egg or eggs at home and what would a person need to do this.Any help would be appreciated Thanks.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
You can polish them at home, but it will take some elbow grease. The first thing you need to do is to take off the little spru that sticks out on the edge of the thunderegg. The spru is caused when the thunderegg comes to the end of the cut on the diamond saw. I have used a metal file to do this. You can then used assorted grits of "wet or dry" sandpaper to smooth the surface. I start at 60 to 100 grit and go all the way down to 2000 grit and this gives a nice semi gloss to glossy finish on it. I do this underwater in a small tub like a cat litter box. You need to use a flat, smooth object to sand on, such as a tile or patio block.

Good luck! Let me know if you need some clarifications.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
lived in WA state for a long time, & it was in all the stores, now am in MO & alas is in no store!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have not been able to get around to the polishing part but here is a wet slab from one of the ones I'm going to polish.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.JPG
    IMG_0312.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 1,306
Upvote 0

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Jog,
did you find that in the tillamook area? I just picked up some from my sister that were picked up in that area and were full of crystals. They are pretty neat to look at. Also found a hammerstone in the bay which was pretty cool.
ksmith

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The thunder eggs came from central Oregon. I have found a few that look like thunder eggs in Tillamook area but they had quartz crystals in them.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the ones that I had polished.

Attachments

• IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_0452.JPG
    IMG_0452.JPG
    58.2 KB · Views: 920
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 819
  • IMG_0455.JPG
    IMG_0455.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 826
  • IMG_0451.JPG
    IMG_0451.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
Did you stop by Richardson Rock Ranch by chance? It sure looks like the ones from that area. You can find TRUCKLOADS of those things if you have the energy to dig them. I have them in many colors but I think my favorite one was one I cut that has a hole in the center and the first layer outside of the hole is bright orange(iron no doubt) and shaped like a sitting cat. For some reason it always reminds me of Halloween. LOL

Anyway, they are always beautiful and always different. Good luck hand polishing them...those things are HARD!

~Nash~

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread