Timbers snag

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
There was a discussion on one of threads, ships timbers retrieved by a fishing vessel in around 70 meters. I am sure I spoke to Old man about that and another wreck of the Keys, before he sadly passed away. The fishermen called the snag after a Spanish Galleon, does it ring any bells, it’s just something that has become relative again.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How deep in feet exactly, is around 70 meters? In recent years several wrecks had objects fishermen snagged in net.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Years ago, I'm thinking maybe a person searching for another wreck, it might have been snagged first don't remember right now (need to check research info sources). A Spanish Galleon sank in the Keys in around 200 feet of water. Two divers died while diving on the wreck, so salvage attempts were cancelled back then. Whether contraband or listed cargo (don't know) but apparently contained a load of jewelry and ornaments looted from indigenous tribes of South America. Galleon name with general location is still known, and I would hate to see the ship looted, indigenous artifacts should be in a museum.

Last edited:

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, it turns out not to be the timber snag story. However, it happened in about 200 feet of water. Two divers died attempting to recover a cargo or work on ship, something ordered by the Brazilian government. This Brazilian ship went down the same depth and same area as the Spanish galleon. The Spanish ship was on the way back from Mexico carrying the Aztec ranson made to Cortes sinking in around 200 feet to bottom, now believed to be heavily coral encrusted.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, it turns out not to be the timber snag story. However, it happened in about 200 feet of water. Two divers died attempting to recover a cargo or work on ship, something ordered by the Brazilian government. This Brazilian ship went down the same depth and same area as the Spanish galleon. The Spanish ship was on the way back from Mexico carrying the Aztec ranson made to Cortes sinking in around 200 feet to bottom, now believed to be heavily coral encrusted.
It may have been the 2 divers who died were American. Since the gold shipment was to be used as payment to the United States for the war, ship got torpedoed by a German submarine in 200 foot deep waters.

OP
OP
Magoopeter

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
70 meters is around 210 feet, ED said the snag was known as the"Jesus Maria." 1589? , the other wreck was in 100 meters of water 300 feet of the Keys, there were images of the wreck of the Keys, I cannot find the Information ED sent, I must have deleted it by mistake. I still have Ed,s TNet pm, below.

“I'm a founder of our wreck. It has cannons, pottery, what looks like silver bar, a piece of gold jewellery and some green stones that appear to be emeralds”.

I’ve seen a post by Salvor6 who says ED gave him the position, so it probably been checked out, as this is going back a few years that I was in touch with ED, didn’t have the means to check it out then.

Your right about the artifacts belonging to the Indigenous people, most of the shipwreck projects I have been involved with were in connection with museums, although most were commercial projects.

Maarer.com is my site,

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did not mention the other ships. Fourteen Spanish treasure galleons are in the same general area as the torpedoed ship from Brazil. What info I do not have is the depth the other galleons sank to, same area as the Aztec ransom galleon (but could be more or less than 200 feet deep). One of these had a ship cargo listed worth many millions in gold and millions in silver. Today the haul could be of incredible value. As I said before, let it go to the museums so we can see for ourselves the beauty of these artifacts.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Man thread here.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
70 meters is around 210 feet, ED said the snag was known as the"Jesus Maria." 1589? , the other wreck was in 100 meters of water 300 feet of the Keys, there were images of the wreck of the Keys, I cannot find the Information ED sent, I must have deleted it by mistake. I still have Ed,s TNet pm, below.

“I'm a founder of our wreck. It has cannons, pottery, what looks like silver bar, a piece of gold jewellery and some green stones that appear to be emeralds”.

I’ve seen a post by Salvor6 who says ED gave him the position, so it probably been checked out, as this is going back a few years that I was in touch with ED, didn’t have the means to check it out then.

Your right about the artifacts belonging to the Indigenous people, most of the shipwreck projects I have been involved with were in connection with museums, although most were commercial projects.

Maarer.com is my site,
Old Man, the years 1580 to 1600 were called "The Golden Years" because the treasure galleons carried as much gold as silver. In later years the ratio was 90% silver to 10% gold. On Sept. 12, 1589, General Alvaro Flores, Admiral of the New Spain fleet left Havana with 21 ships and General Martin Perez de Olazaval left with 28 ships of the Tierra Firma Fleet loaded with indigo, hides, logwood, silver bars, silver coins, gold coins and bullion. On Sept. 18 the fleet was hit by a strong storm that lasted 8 days. On the 23rd, the Almiranta of Alvaro Flores had her bow broken open and quickly sank with few survivors. Not many people know that there were actually 14 ships of the fleet that sank. At the time it was the greatest shipwreck disaster in Spain's history. I have all the documents on this fleet from Seville. I'll look into the manifests and give you some specifics.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not many people know that there were actually 14 ships of the fleet that sank.
Salvor6 gave 14 as the number of ships also.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Recent years talk about the sea level rising. Sounds exaggerated but even a slight increase of depth since the galleons went down. Are we talking about due south of Key West Island (land mass) or is it from city of Key West?

agflit

Mar 25, 2015
Wisconsin, N.C. Fl, Bahamas....wherever the wrecks
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark freshwater...Excaliber 1000 Bluetube, Aquapulse AQ1b, Marine Sonics Centurian SSS
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I did some survey and camera work on that Keys wreck for Ed several years ago...it's deep....over 300'... and absolutely WICKED current...4 kts +.

It also still has an admiralty claim on it...so...be aware.

As far as the wreck of the possible Jesus Maria.... it was snagged, some wood came up in the nets.... and thats all I'm gonna say about that unless the Family green lights me to say anything more.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did some survey and camera work on that Keys wreck for Ed several years ago...it's deep....over 300'... and absolutely WICKED current...4 kts +.

It also still has an admiralty claim on it...so...be aware.

As far as the wreck of the possible Jesus Maria.... it was snagged, some wood came up in the nets.... and thats all I'm gonna say about that unless the Family green lights me to say anything more.
Then it must not be the Aztec treasure galleon.

OP
OP
Magoopeter

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The one of the Keys? or the Jesus,

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread