TIME 2 BUCKLE DOWN ON THIS 17TH CENTURY SITE!

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Mid Atlantic / East coast
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The white metal buckle looking thing...

Is this a buckle? Its a white, cast metal.

CIMG5099.JPG CIMG5100.JPG CIMG5097.JPG CIMG5103.JPG CIMG5104.JPG CIMG5107.JPG

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those are some really nice early buckles - definitely mid-1600s thru early 1700s. I've found some like the smaller one shown in your first few pics with the stud chape. But the larger one I haven't specifically seen, especially with those markings etched all over the frame. For a great reference on early buckles you download the following: http://www.reenactor.ru/ARH/PDF/Whitehead.pdf

I also have a book on 17th century spoons that has a large number of maker's marks listed. But yours is not shown. But the majority of these spoons date between 1650 and 1700 which is in line with your other recoveries. If you want a copy of this book you can download a free pdf at the following: Old Base Metal Spoons - Frederick George Hilton Price - Google Books

Love to see you post the coins, buttons and other artifacts that were dug at this site. And I hope you pursue locating the trash pits too as that could be a very fun and lucrative find. Good luck!

Thank you for the downloads. I do appreciate that. Yep, we dug hundreds of targets - half of it was lead. But aside from a few shotgun shells there is no garbage. Pretty certain there is a pit because there are areas so thick with shell we can barely dig. Thats where the spoon came from.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, and if I'm not mistaken it's even earlier, I will have to look further into this one. The one I'm looking at on my resources says it's made from pewter, similar to yours.

SS

Earlier is good. I've never found a buckle like this so its new to me. I thought it looked medieval. Maybe it is medieval leftovers. Lets hope.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Earlier is good. I've never found a buckle like this so its new to me. I thought it looked medieval. Maybe it is medieval leftovers. Lets hope.
The pattern is very similar to the single loop buckle of the late medieval period, so you could very well be onto a very early colonial site...very interesting .:thumbsup:

SS

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the downloads. I do appreciate that. Yep, we dug hundreds of targets - half of it was lead. But aside from a few shotgun shells there is no garbage. Pretty certain there is a pit because there are areas so thick with shell we can barely dig. Thats where the spoon came from.

I love sites like that. Oyster shells can be a great sign, but a relatively shallow but broad areas of shells usually is not indicative of the main trash pit unless this is the site of a huge, early plantation. Most deep trash pits I've found are irregular in shape, usually no more than 10-15 ft across, and there's usually more than one. And at the earliest sites they're located very near the house or kitchen. You should dig few test holes in the shell area to see what's going on, but I'm betting its not the pit you're looking for. A probe will help you determine the debris depth and save you some unnecessary digging.

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love sites like that. Oyster shells can be a great sign, but a relatively shallow but broad areas of shells usually is not indicative of the main trash pit unless this is the site of a huge, early plantation. Most deep trash pits I've found are irregular in shape, usually no more than 10-15 ft across, and there's usually more than one. And at the earliest sites they're located very near the house or kitchen. You should dig few test holes in the shell area to see what's going on, but I'm betting its not the pit you're looking for. A probe will help you determine the debris depth and save you some unnecessary digging.

I have a probe and a homemade shaker screen set up neither of which has ever been used. Thanks for the tip. We've got a lot of exploring to do here not to mention theres a lot of field to check yet for other sites.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow great early finds. Man I love complete buckles. I'm excited to see what comes out of that site man. They don't get much earlier over here

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now those two buckle are really great looking, and the shape and with a great patina on them, congrats.

The bigger buckle might be a spur buckle as shown in the finds link. Yours is way nicer than any of the ones in the link. 17thCbuckles

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer buckles all the way! :notworthy: Google Buckles Through The Ages - lots of good info on that site.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice buckles, hope you pull lots more from that site!

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No better medicine, than swinging your coil! I love finding old buckles, although I've never found any that old. Those are so cool and have a story to tell about our history. Great finds and looking to seeing the coins and other finds from your honey hole. Big Congrats!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! Congratulations!

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im feeling much better today so tomorrow my wife and I will be back at it. Im hoping my wife pops out a cob. That'd be pretty cool.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The buckles may be bronze and look as if from 1700s . How and the hell do you people find these sites . Anyway great finds!!!!!!!!vanzutphen

OP
OP
Cross Potent

Cross Potent

Oct 20, 2014
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The buckles may be bronze and look as if from 1700s . How and the hell do you people find these sites . Anyway great finds!!!!!!!!vanzutphen

If 1700s must be very early 1700s like 1730 or earlier. So far the evidence is this place was gone shortly thereafter.

How to find? Find some farm fields in an area settled in the 17th century. Plenty in Md! Then find a creek where the fields touch it at some point. Get permission and scout. Its that easy. It wont take very long before you find your first site. You'll probably pocket a few old buttons just scouting for a site.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some really nice buckles. You got a really good spot this time! GL&HH.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread