Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to send my trusty V3I that I bought on 2/5/2011 in to be fixed. Not sure what happened as I was at home putting in a new toggle switch as the old one was busted. When I put the battery in & hit the power button, nothing came on. Tried a different battery and still no luck.

I love my V3I but man I have to say it's getting tougher to swing it after several hrs.

My buddy has a Deus 1 which is so light. Was looking at the Deus 2 but those WS6 headphones look awful uncomfortable.

So, to all the experts out there I'm looking to see what detectors you're using out in the field hunting cellar holes.

I'd like to get similar features that the V3I has.

1. Color Screen
2. Easy To See Screen
3. Wireless Headphones
4. Hunt In Multi Freq's Simultaneously
5. Has Multi-Tones

1. Color Screen
2. Easy To See Screen
3. Wireless Headphones
5. Has Multi-Tones

I have the V3I and also just recently got a Deus 2. The Deus 2 has all the features you want except a color screen. I don’t really miss the color screen, though I do miss the visual depth indicator and the screens showing which frequency was hitting hardest. But the depth and target size are reflected in the sound volume, and the ferrous/non-ferrous indicators take work just fine in place of the frequency bars.

That said, I’m a newbie to the Deus, and I haven’t done any cellar holes, just parks and home sites, so take it with a grain of salt.

Well I'm a deus user and what I'll tell you is you'll luv it. Everything you want plus more but I say try the w4's might not look like much but they're awesome. Sounds are great!!!! HH

Thanks guys. What coils are do you use. My buddy uses the white one which is I think is a high freq.

I do have to say that I do like the screen on the Minelabs. The coil wire though looks like it might be problematic in the woods.

Haven't compared the weight difference between the Deus and the Minelabs.

My buddy uses the white coil which I think is the high freq. Is one coil better suited for cellar holes than another?

Also what are the differences between the Deus 1 & 2

Last edited:
Yes the whites are high freqs and rock in iron heavy spots. The way a deus and minelab swing are miles apart and I wouldn't get hung up on the screen, the sounds will tell you everything you need to know. Deus 2 multi freq

Thanks. Need more in field information.

Hi Rebel. I have the Deus 2 and the Equinox 800. I use the Deus 2 in the field and at old homesites/cellar holes. (I use the equinox at the beach and in parks, though I rarely hunt parks).

The main reason I use the Deus 2 (and before it I had the Deus 1) at old homesites/cellar holes in the woods is that the Deus is - in my opinion - superior at iron-infested sites, like most old homesites are. It has an ability to separate good targets from iron that is superior to the Equinox. I say this after hundreds of hours using each detector at these sorts of sites.

The Deus 2 only has the 9” and 11” coils at this time, and they’re both black. Only difference is size.
(The white coil you are talking about is for the Deus 1 and yes, it is a high-frequency coil).

There is a learning curve with the Deus 2, and when I say that I mean that you have to learn the “sound” of different targets. The screen tells you a lot, but I use that info as a supplement to what I’m hearing. I think this is the true way the Deus is superior to the Equinox (subtlety of sound).

Hope this helps.
- Brian

I've been using my Deus 1 for more than 8 years - replaced the original 9" LF coil with a new 9" X35 coil.
Over 1000 hunts including dozens of 1700's & 1800's cellar holes - countless great finds.
Myself, I would never want a coil larger than 9" - to hard to get around in overgrown areas and tight spots.
As far as the Deus 2 goes - lot's of people love them but a good number of people are going back to the Deus 1's.
If I was a Beach or Water hunter I'd already have a D2 - but I only hunt on land.

I did'nt like the tones (very dull) of the XP headphones that came with my machine - sold them ASAP.
I got a pair of "Deteknix" headphones that you use with the Deus "Puck" - sharp/ clear tones and wear all day comfort.

I'm sure if you decide to get a D1 or D2 you will be very happy with either one.

Good Luck & Good Hunting !

Thanks everyone for your input I truly appreciate it.

I'd like to hear more from users of other models to see what they have to say.

Had the D1 for around 5 yrs, had the HF elliptical coil on for the majority of the time, running it on 74 hz.
Bought the D2 last Oct. and got some hunting in on hard hit sites.
Separation is better, way less iron being dug.
The ID on the screen is really bang on, meaning it doesn't change from detection to retrieval.
The new updates now have made it a tad different again. So the learning curve is happening once again.
I only hunt homestead/cellar hole/bush now and have been for many years.
I use the 9" coil and really have no wish to go larger.
If purchasing a D2 go with a full 🎧. I got the Deus wireless set.
There's the Grey Ghost that the puck slip in.
It was a coin toss, and availability.
There has been no issues with coil tabs breaking.
D1 option is :hello2::icon_thumright:
D2 option over a DI :notworthy::occasion14:

Cool. I've heard a lot about the manticore anyone use this at cellar holes.

Any field reports on the manticore at cellar holes?

Any field reports on the manticore at cellar holes?
I haven't heard if the last update addressed the issue with the iron/nails.

After much time and research I'll be going with the manticore once the m8 coil has been out in the field for a while. Looking to see results on that coil.

Had to send my trusty V3I that I bought on 2/5/2011 in to be fixed. Not sure what happened as I was at home putting in a new toggle switch as the old one was busted. When I put the battery in & hit the power button, nothing came on. Tried a different battery and still no luck.

I love my V3I but man I have to say it's getting tougher to swing it after several hrs.

My buddy has a Deus 1 which is so light. Was looking at the Deus 2 but those WS6 headphones look awful uncomfortable.

So, to all the experts out there I'm looking to see what detectors you're using out in the field hunting cellar holes.

1. Color Screen
2. Easy To See Screen
3. Wireless Headphones
5. Has Multi-Tones
Have you tried cleaning the contacts for the battery?

Yea the battery was fine. It was a break in the ribbon wire. Got it back from Centerville Electronics a few weeks ago good as new

Reached out to ML to see when the M8 coil would be coming out. They said Sept/Oct. Hopefully when it does they will offer it as part of the purchase of the manticore package.

Yea the battery was fine. It was a break in the ribbon wire. Got it back from Centerville Electronics a few weeks ago good as new
cellar holes probably could use a small coil

Talked to a vendor and was told that ML will not include the M8 coil as an additional coil with the purchase of a manticore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back