✅ SOLVED Tip of bayonet

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
Wondering if this is a bayonet tip, found in a CW camp area.

image-1450613127.jpg

image-1790251647.jpg

image-1946643669.jpg

]

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is the broken-off tip of a civil war "socket" bayonet's blade. It appears to be from a British-made Enfield bayonet, which was used mainly by the Confederates, but the yankees also imported huge numbers of that kind.

I can't quite be sure from your photos of the still rust-covered bayonet tip whether all three of its sides are "fluted" (concave), or whether one of the three is flat. If all three are concave it is from an Enfield. If one is flat, it is from a (strictly-yankee) Springfield bayonet.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mspence

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
Awesome info, all 3 sides are fluted. Did they use bayonets to mark graves by any chance? I found this tip stuck into the ground straight down in an area that appears to be riddled with sunken graves. Thanks again

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mspence

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
Can you check out my posting just prior to this one, like to see what you think about the lead button I recovered. Thanks

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mspence wrote:
> Did they use bayonets to mark graves by any chance?

I've never seen any written record of such use in the civil war. No way to attach a name onto the bayonet (except for a piece of paper which only last a few days) to signify that it marked a grave. But I've read of bayonets being stuck in the ground as a temporary horse-tether, a candleholder, and a tent-stake.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mspence

mspence

Aug 25, 2011
Ahh Makes much more sense and I feel loads better now. Just started to ponder it say after I dug it and wanted to ck. thanks again

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread