What's new

Tips For Digging Rocky Ground.

KSHilltopper

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 29, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone!

Well, like the title says, I was wondering if anyone had suggestions for digging up extremely rocky

ground. I've been practicing on my dads land but every time I go to dig something up, it's nothing

but rocks. Get's frustrating :). So far, I'm just using a medium/small round-point shovel. Anyways,

thanks (in advance) for any suggestions!

p.s. If anyone is ever in north eastern Kansas, give me a holler and you can come out and MD on the land. :P
 
KS: I'll be watching this for replies, as I have had the same experience. A probe is worthless. And everyone has had experience with shaled and graveled drive ways, I am sure.
 
Unless you're recovering targets in a graveled drive, they shouldn't normally be too deep.

I was hunting a Union CW camp (private farm with permission) in central MO last year and the ground
was horridly compacted with flint below a 2-3 inch layer of compacted soil. There was no way my Lesche digger,
or shovel, could be used effectively so I used a geologist's pick hammer to first break-up the rocky matrix around
my target and then use the Lesche for the actual recovery. 99% of my targets were less than 3-inches deep.

If cutting a "perfect" plug on manicured ground is not an issue, a geologist or mason's pick-hammer may be
an option.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to wear safety glasses. . . really.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom