The shop 09 005.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,808

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Hey Dennis...
How do you keep your shop looking so neat!!? My basement looks like a junkyard!
That Miller welding machine you have is a good one! All I have at home is a Miller Thunderbolt and dry-rig tig torch. Other than my welder, all I have is a $75 Craftsman drill press. Working titanium by hand can be real fun!

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett
Mxtman, I like the sand scoop a lot !

Pls PM me whenever you are able to sell them !

Nice workmanship !!!

Best
rmptr

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have $40,000 worth of titanium clamps, bolts and screws holding my back together. I'll trade you even up for one of those diggers if I can ever figure out how to get it out! And yes, it sets off a metal detector! Monty

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
I definitely like the hand diggers, but I would like one with a ball top handle. The Lesche tube end digs into your hand, and I like to press down on the sheath stop tang (plate between the knife and handle) and the end of the handle... this distributes the pressure between my hands and allows me to dig a FAST plug.

Please let me know when you have a price to sell them, even in limited quantities.

PAULWYO

Apr 18, 2009
Rock Springs , WY
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD 2200D
i want a digger like the one in the pic from Number9 i like the handle how much does it weigh aussie pick too heavy lookin for a lighter one how much $ to buy one thanks .. PAUL

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Great looking tools and good job!

Went to that knife web site and saw the prices. ouch.

Does Ti hold an edge ok? What kind of Rockwell hardness ?

Years ago I worked in R&D and did some Ti work, turned and milled some.

Cut some threads. I don't recall it being too difficult.

Not as easy as aluminum or as difficult as 304 SS .

I don't know what grade it was.

Good thinking on using "slivers" for filler rod.

Grey

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Very sorry folks for the late reply. Seems my computer came down with the electronic equivelent of the H1N1 flu. I had to reinstall window's. And being the computer buff that I am, I of course failed to back up or save anything! :-\ :(

Anyway, I may have some time to fab a few diggers and scoops in the near future. So I will send all who requested a pm.
Looks like the diggers will be around 100.00 and the scoops around 150.00.

Thank you all for your compliments and interest.

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Hi all. I have finally gotten around to fabricating some more diggers. I have sent pm's or will soon send pm's to those who requested them. I have finished a couple and am pleased with the results. Ok maybe a little more than pleased! :headbang: If your the fabricator type you might like these pictures. I took pictures of the entire process. But here are a few.

Oh if your interested in purchasing one of these. See my post in the classified section. Or pm me I was able to get the price down somewhat from my last guesstimate. I am only offering these on this website. once their gone, thats it. I'm out of material and they are just too expensive and time consuming to make.
Thanks for looking.

Dennis

Attachments

• Digger project 12-09 025.jpg
    Digger project 12-09 025.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 1,527
  • A little Q.C..jpg
    A little Q.C..jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,485
OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
some more

Attachments

• 45 deg..jpg
    45 deg..jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,471
  • Cuttin the teeth.jpg
    Cuttin the teeth.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,456
  • Hot off the mill.jpg
    Hot off the mill.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 1,454
  • Cleaned and bent.jpg
    Cleaned and bent.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,445
OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
and a few more.

Attachments

• Handles taking shape.jpg
    Handles taking shape.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 1,452
  • Almost there.jpg
    Almost there.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1,449
  • Digger project 12-09 024.jpg
    Digger project 12-09 024.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1,463
OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Ray S ECenFL said:
Dennis,

Very impressive pictures. Thanks for sharing. PM sent.

Ray S ECenFL

Thanks Ray, Their even more impressive in real life. I got on ready for you!!

Functional

Feb 16, 2007
Okanagan Valley, British Columbia, Canada
Detector(s) used
A Compass Magnum 420 recently brought back to life. And an untested "in the wild" Teknetics.
Interesting subject. Just wondering if drilling and shaping might be done easier using either a plasma cutter, or EDM (Electrical Discharge Machine), instead of wearing out drill bit's and cutting wheel's? I've seen some fairly low cost DIY (Do It Yourself), CNC plasma cutters online and the basic plasma cutter unit with Tig and MMA Arc welder (combo unit), sells for around $500 on feebay. I even saw a EDM unit down in Florida sell for only $750 about a month back, (cheap by some peoples standards).

Just a thought.

F.

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Functional said:
Interesting subject. Just wondering if drilling and shaping might be done easier using either a plasma cutter, or EDM (Electrical Discharge Machine), instead of wearing out drill bit's and cutting wheel's? I've seen some fairly low cost DIY (Do It Yourself), CNC plasma cutters online and the basic plasma cutter unit with Tig and MMA Arc welder (combo unit), sells for around $500 on feebay. I even saw a EDM unit down in Florida sell for only $750 about a month back, (cheap by some peoples standards).

Just a thought.

F.

Yes, You are right, cutting and drilling would be no problem if a person were set up with cnc plasma. I did actually cut my prototype blanks using a plasma cutter. But found that cutting them with a sheet metal shear (press shear) worked well. As far as wearing out tool bits goes, It's really not a problem (at least not for grade 2 Ti.) dont know about other grades. But if you cut slow about 130 rpm and slow feed it cuts about like 316 SS.
Like I said before, the biggest downside to using titanium is the coast of the material. Unless the builder has a supply of scrap material, There is just no way to make these things affordable to the average detectorist. Just to give you an idea, look at the price of ti. on the internet. A 6"x6" x .125" sells for between $100.00 and $160.00. for grade 2.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
A new model EDM would work real nice...
or even a water jet cutting machine would be fun...
oh yes, a laser cutting machine, now ya talk'n!
But, I don't fabricate titanium that flys anymore.
Using plasma will do the job, but will require more cleanup
than the other three above. Even if you're using "High definition plasma".
But, it all comes down to money! Which would take a long look before
you spend the money for equipment just to make a few titanium tools in a home shop!

A titanium digging tool like the ones Dennis is making, for the price...
is not a "money maker" for him... it's a gift to you!!

OP
OP
mxtman2

mxtman2

Sep 25, 2004
Southern California
Detector(s) used
MXT/ Sunray probe
Number9 said:
A new model EDM would work real nice...
or even a water jet cutting machine would be fun...
oh yes, a laser cutting machine, now ya talk'n!
But, I don't fabricate titanium that flys anymore.
Using plasma will do the job, but will require more cleanup
than the other three above. Even if you're using "High definition plasma".
But, it all comes down to money! Which would take a long look before
you spend the money for equipment just to make a few titanium tools in a home shop!

A titanium digging tool like the ones Dennis is making, for the price...
is not a "money maker" for him... it's a gift to you!!

Thank You :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: Very well said!

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
You know what the main problem is with making custom tools?

Unless a person knows metal working and the amount of time and material to finish a tool...
all they have to compare the "custom tool" to, is a tool that is offered for sale on the open market.
This comparison is like comparing apples to oranges, but this is the only comparison a person can make when looking at "custom made"!
They "think" they want a custom tool until you tell them the price! Then they compare your custom to the standard on the market and think one of two things... "I can't justify the cost over standard for my use"... or... "This guy is trying to rook-me, trying to take me to the cleaners, who does he think he's fooling charging such a high price!?"

I've made many custom tools in the last 40 years and sold none. why? Because most people don't understand what it takes to make one, and friends just want a "gift". And when you tell them the price you always get that "look"! Ha! If you buy a quality made custom tool the price can be as much as 10-times the standard tool that's on the shelf! So, why do it at all? I do it for two basic reasons... the tool becomes part of me and gives me an inter pride knowing that I have the skills needed to make a "one-of-a-kind". The other reasons is to have a tool for my needs that's unmatched for the job I need it for. The tool must say "Lets go!", when I ask... "Are you ready!?".

Dennis, can you relate to any of this!? :laughing7:

Best at ya!
-Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread