wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TN Headstamp Expert??

I found one of these today, my first one. The markings on the shell are U.M.C. Co. No 12 NEW CLUB. I found out that U.M.C. Co. stands for Union Metallic Cartridge Company.

Outside of that I was able to research the following.

On August 9, 1867, the Union Metallic Cartridge Company was incorporated in Bridgeport Connecticut. It was particularly noted for its development of metallic cartridges. It and its successor company subsequently developed the first paper shotshells successfully manufactured in the United States, the first primer adapted to smokeless powder; the first battery cup for best quality paper shotshells; the first cartridges for automatic pistols; the first standard high-power smokeless cartridges for big game autoloading rifles; the first .410 bore gauge shotshell in the United States; the first nickeled primer; the first oil-proof automatic pistol cartridges; and the first completely wetproof loaded shells, including top wad, crimp and body.

In 1912, the Union Metallic Cartridge Company of Bridgeport and Remington Arms Company were combined into one company and became Remington U.M.C.

In November, 1946, Remington closed the Remington Arms Union Metallic Cartridge Company, Ltd., a wholly-owned English subsidiary. This subsidiary operated a shotshell loading plant at Brimsdown, England. Operations consisted of loading empty paper shotshells, imported from the parent company, with powder and other components. This company also handled importation of rimfire and centerfire ammunition and sporting firearms from the U.S.

I am new to the forum but I know that somewhere on here I read that one or some of the members are knowledgeable about headstamps. So I'm looking for any further information I can get about this piece, especially a time frame as to when they were produced, 1867 to 1912 under the Union Metallic Cartridge Company name? And is the star pattern around the primer anything unique?

Below is a picture of a nicer one I found on the internet. Not the one I actually found.

umcnew12-004.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I remember correctly your shell dates to the early 1900s. There was a very good list in a thread that gave all the dates but I haven't been able to find it yet. Heck, it may have been on another site. :dontknow:

OP
OP
wvplug

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah c'mon..... someone surely knows something about these??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread