Today and Last Week: Colonial and 1800's Mixed Bag, WWII .50 cal

Eastender

Mar 30, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today and three days last week after the cold spell. Neat copper alloy box that I not so smartly snapped the lid off of. Found a stirrup and three horse shoes (shoes are not pictured, I find many of them). Lots of buckles. Is the rectangular one possibly from a rifle sling? The oblong token is from one of the Expositions. The bird bands I will log into USF&WS to report and get my certificates. The lead fish net sinkers still have hemp rope fibers inside (I live near the ocean). A flattened copper bowl. An old Hubley flintlock cap gun. The .50 shell marked 1943 on the base is my third one, the other two are still live. Two amour-piercing .50 cal rounds above it. During WWII fighters would circle the Long Island coast looking for sub conning towers. They would live fire nearby so a few stray bullets around. We actually had a German sub land on our beaches and offload saboteurs. Another .75 ball and maybe a Henry.

Attachments

• tres348.jpg
    tres348.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 63
  • tres349.jpg
    tres349.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • tres345.jpg
    tres345.jpg
    811.2 KB · Views: 32
  • tres346.jpg
    tres346.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • tres347.jpg
    tres347.jpg
    852.4 KB · Views: 34
  • tres349.jpg
    tres349.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 33
Upvote 10

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out today and three days last week after the cold spell. Neat copper alloy box that I not so smartly snapped the lid off of. Found a stirrup and three horse shoes (shoes are not pictured, I find many of them). Lots of buckles. Is the rectangular one possibly from a rifle sling? The oblong token is from one of the Expositions. The bird bands I will log into USF&WS to report and get my certificates. The lead fish net sinkers still have hemp rope fibers inside (I live near the ocean). A flattened copper bowl. An old Hubley flintlock cap gun. The .50 shell marked 1943 on the base is my third one, the other two are still live. Two amour-piercing .50 cal rounds above it. During WWII fighters would circle the Long Island coast looking for sub conning towers. They would live fire nearby so a few stray bullets around. We actually had a German sub land on our beaches and offload saboteurs. Another .75 ball and maybe a Henry.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great bunch of finds, congrats!
Would love to see that lock after dip in the electrolysis tank.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread