Todays Find actually an old one.

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
Today's Find actually an old one.

Thanks for your e-mail. I haven't been around for a while, long story, but back again. I have an old display case that I had never thought to see if it had any antique value. I had/have used it to display a find I made on an Indian Wars battlefield. The case is imbossed with the name "Henry L, Hansen." He was a maker of taps and dies and other tools and was well know for the quality of his products.

In the search on Google, using his name there was an auction held where an identical display case like this one was one of the entrys. There was a column on the auction showing anticipated price it would go for and that was $200 - $10,000 and that is quite a spread. I bever once thought it was worth over $25. I bought it from an old mom and pop hardware store when the store closed down for an urban renewal.

Attachments

• Henry L. Hanson Display Case3.jpg.jpg
    Henry L. Hanson Display Case3.jpg.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 107
  • Henry L. Hanson Display Box Taps ^ Dies.jpg
    Henry L. Hanson Display Box Taps ^ Dies.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 3

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful case man ! So typical of hand work from a century ago or more when things were made to last, and made with pride and
care !

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Treasure in unexpected places!

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grats on that cabinet. A nice piece indeed!

New England was the hub of America's industrial revolution. All the major brands started here. Colt, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, and a host of others, but those are right off the top of my head (can you tell I like guns?) Toolmakers like Hanson profited greatly by providing tooling and support to these large mills. It only stands to reason that they left their legacy behind.

I'm a second-generation machinist and toolmaker. I grew up in my father's shop. He left me all of his personal tools and the tools he made for himself. Many are from the turn of the last century. Those are priceless to me.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Grats on that cabinet. A nice piece indeed!

New England was the hub of America's industrial revolution. All the major brands started here. Colt, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, and a host of others, but those are right off the top of my head (can you tell I like guns?) Toolmakers like Hanson profited greatly by providing tooling and support to these large mills. It only stands to reason that they left their legacy behind.

I'm a second-generation machinist and toolmaker. I grew up in my father's shop. He left me all of his personal tools and the tools he made for himself. Many are from the turn of the last century. Those are priceless to me.

I was a first generation machinist. This state is not organized and well established when it comes to skilled industrial work like other states. I went to two years of school and got a degree and worked in the field for five years never making more than $11. Started out making barely above minimum. I eventually got out of it and sold my tools and pushed buttons on a machine making more money. Then got layed off.

OP
OP
J

jondar

Mar 20, 2006
Thanks to all for the nice comments. Higgy: Like yourself I love the old guns and that's exactly what is in this display case at this time. I have some more pics I will try to put on this great website. Seems like anymore, there just isn't enough hours in the day!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread