Todays Find/First Find in Rockwall Texas

ironcat4

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500
Today's Find/First Find in Rockwall Texas

Hey TreasureNet Forum Members,

Today a buddy of mine and me made our first outing today after work. We both have new Garretts. A GTI2500 and a GTI1500. We made a visit to an old cemetery just minutes from the house out in the middle of nowhere. Well needless to say we had a great time, but we didn't find the treasure we were hoping for. We did find an old rake head, and old flashlight, a 1981 penny and a t-post. oh yea, chiggars too...

We both agreed that we will keep learning to use our machines and not get discouraged. Any tips for newbies like us would be great. Also would love to hear some stories of your first find, treasure or not.

Upvote 0

dirt doctor

Aug 31, 2006
California Bay Area
Re: Today's Find/First Find in Rockwall Texas

Most detectorists steer clear of Cemeteries the dead don't mind but the living sure do . It's a bad for the image of the hobby .

George

OP
OP
I

ironcat4

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500

dirt doctor,

thanks for the advice, we did respect the cemetery and stayed outside along the fence. The place was way to creepy.

irpncat4

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

dirt doctor said:
Most detectorists steer clear of Cemeteries the dead don't mind but the living sure do . It's a bad for the image of the hobby .

George

Amen!

ironcat4 said:
dirt doctor,

thanks for the advice, we did respect the cemetery and stayed outside along the fence. The place was way to creepy.

irpncat4

Welcome to the forum Ironcat. I know you guys will have a blast with your new machines. Creepy or not....Cemeteries are sacred and should never be hunted. Not even outside of them. There are so many other cool places to hunt that are old and full of goodies! I'm sure you will find some awesome hunting grounds soon. Make us proud!

HH,
Moon

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other

Hey welcome to the post!
I used to live in Rockwall and drive to Dallas everyday for work.
Keep it up and y'all will have plenty to post in no time!

Carefull! the cemetery can of worms debate pops up here at least a couple of times a year!
Trust your judgement!
dave

ldablo

Apr 21, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Master Hunter CX Plus

welcome!

well, since you asked, the very first thing i found was a pulltab :)

right after that i found a ring gasket from an oil well--oh well.

both were fun--which is what we should all have.

good luck and HH.

LD

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other

plehbah said:
Cemeteries are amazing! In America, you can still be a land holder when you are dead!

They are also convenient places to cry and focus on mortality and morbidity.

They are a great place to take the kids for a weekend.

Thanks Pleh-man,
Honestly, your posts used to scare me.....
But they are an acquired taste.
Now, I search them out! (instead of finishing my work).

Pipster

Mar 8, 2007
denver
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, vision v3i,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ah you are in a great spot to search. i used to live not far from rockwall, search some of the plate maps at the local library once you learn how to read them they are a treasure trove of information.
I focused some of my attention to farmersville the town has alot of old history and if you don't mind knocking on doors to ask permission you can find some great things.
Also from that area though i cannot recall where it is terrell had a old drive in theater that i have pulled silver from.
Time/practice + research= finds
Stick with it and look forward to your great finds
PIP

EpsilonMinus

May 14, 2009
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

I wonder what made you guys decide that the best place to go detecting for the first time was a cemetery. That's a strange choice. I agree with the other posters here and consider them off-limits, not because they are holy, but out of fear for angry living people with pitchforks and shotguns. Definitely don't go places that will give people more reason to think detecting is 'looting' or 'grave robbing'.

OP
OP
I

ironcat4

Tenderfoot
May 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500

Thanks to all for the warnings for working a cemetery. Like I mentioned it was day 1 with a detector in hand. I hope to learn from others that post on here. There is some incredible finds that show up. I find myself checking often at what people find and the stories behind it.

dogcaught

Mar 2, 2008
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II sunray x-1 probe
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Vanquish 540

oledavidboy said:
plehbah said:
Cemeteries are amazing! In America, you can still be a land holder when you are dead!

They are also convenient places to cry and focus on mortality and morbidity.

They are a great place to take the kids for a weekend.

Thanks Pleh-man,
Honestly, your posts used to scare me.....
But they are an acquired taste.
Now, I search them out! (instead of finishing my work).

My thoughts exactly ODB, Plehbah keeps the place colorful and you just want to read more!
I'm with the crowd though on not hunting cemeteries.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Moonshadow said:
dirt doctor said:

George

Amen!

ironcat4 said:
dirt doctor,

irpncat4

Welcome to the forum Ironcat. I know you guys will have a blast with your new machines. Creepy or not....Cemeteries are sacred and should never be hunted. Not even outside of them. There are so many other cool places to hunt that are old and full of goodies! I'm sure you will find some awesome hunting grounds soon. Make us proud!

HH,
Moon

I would never detect inside the grounds of a Church but I disagree with not detecing outside of them. I do this all the time. The plough fields in several Villiages I detect go right up to the walls of the Church Boundry. Why would I not detect them, its a great place. Does that mean that farmers should not plough them as well?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions