What's new

Todays Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

kbinski

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 29, 2008
Messages
82
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

I was counting change today from various bags and jars of random change and found 3 silver rosies. Thats 12 for me this month so far.
I also picked out five wheats...one of them happened to be a 1909VDB!!! I was astonished to find such a coin from circulation. It is in decent shape but the VDB is pretty worn. Only the V is clearly discernable. If only it had a S on the front >:(
Definitely a coin I will probably never find again
 

Attachments

  • 1909VDB Obverse.webp
    1909VDB Obverse.webp
    64 KB · Views: 645
  • 1909VDB Reverse.webp
    1909VDB Reverse.webp
    63.5 KB · Views: 644
Upvote 0
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

what did you mean by random bags and jars of coins....the bag part i understand :icon_scratch:
congrats on the 1909vdb...kinda hard to see in the pic......WTG
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

Found it from a change drive for charity, so I am going through a lot of old change hoards, so there are some pretty decent finds. The picture is blurry and the V is just visible with the naked eye, cant be seen in the picture.
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

kbinski said:
Definitely a coin I will probably never find again

If you search enough pennies, you will definitely find more of them. I think I have found 3 or 4 of the 1909 VDB this year and a couple more last year.
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

Too bad its missing the S mintmark....
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

Codes said:
Too bad its missing the S mintmark....

Just ship it to SGS and tell them it wore off naturally. They'll slab it as a 1909S vdb.
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

I've found two 1909 VDB's metal detecting. I also have 3 1909s with no VDB found metal detecting. Now I just need to find the 1909s VDB! It's coming....just a matter of time.
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

What does VDB stand for?
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

tank014 said:
What does VDB stand for?

I think Victor David Brenner, he was the designer. Been a few years since I read the story so I may be misspelling his name. The same VDB initials are now on the front almost straight down from Liberty near the rim - you may need a magnifying glass to see them.
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

wow nice. I found a 1909 but when I turned it over there were no initials. Im hoping for an indian some time soon.
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

Congrats! Happy Holidays!
 
Re: Today's Finds... My most valuable coin found!!

That's amazing. Still floating around after all of those years ::)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom