What's new

Token help Please.

lonelyduckhunter

Sr. Member
Joined
May 5, 2009
Messages
353
Reaction score
80
Golden Thread
0
Location
Easton, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI2500, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this yesterday and posted it on the token forum as well. Found out of a mid 1700-1900 spot

Front
2cwk7jc.jpg


Back
2utspqf.jpg


Same size as a quarter

Thanks for any help. I am learning a bunch from you guys and gals. :icon_thumleft:
 
Bartman said:
Richard, that almost looks like a counterstamped large cent.

Like I know what the heck that is. I'm a rookie remember. :icon_study:
 
Upvote 0
Basically, a shop owner would take a large cent and counterstamp it with his initials or shop name so it would require people to come back to his shop to use it. I could be wrong though as the edge doesn't quite look like a large cent.
 
Upvote 0
It looks like it might have been hit with birdshot in its lifetime. One sides shows the dents and the other the bumps. It could have maybe gotten these by being walked on for years in gravely ground, but you'd think in that case there'd be indentations on boith sides?
 
Upvote 0
Believe it or not it was exacthly below a 1909 IHP I dug. The penny came out really nice the dents in this thing look sorta like they belong there. The color is uniformed thruout the coin no missing color all solid brown. Think it's a nice local find if it is infact a counterstamp large cent. Any ideas on who to contact to find out who it might of belonged to. IE Family names that match the initials.
 
Upvote 0
Posted it on the token forum as well and guys on there are nailing it and pointing me in a good direction. One day I hope to aquire the 1/10th of the knowledge that some of you have in history. Now if anybody needs help Iding waterfowl I'm pretty sure I am good at that. :notworthy:
 
Upvote 0
lonelyduck hunter, it is not solved yet. It is not a counterstamped large cent.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom