Tommi

Sep 19, 2005
Australia
Detector(s) used
Famous-Trails-MD9100 ACE250-PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom's Electrolysis setup

I was inspired by Floater's electrolysis machine, so I decided to have a go and make my own setup, here are some results from when I built it at 4:30am on Saturday to Sunday night.

Photos:
1 & 2 - Setup and componets used
3 & 4 - 20cent coin with electro and WD40 bath
5 - 5 zloty Polish coins, one on right has had only WD40 bath and one on left has had electro & WD40 bath.

Attachments

• tom_electro1.jpg
    tom_electro1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,058
  • small_5zl.jpg
    small_5zl.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 20cents_after.jpg
    20cents_after.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,038
  • 20cents_before.jpg
    20cents_before.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • tom_electro2.jpg
    tom_electro2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,062
Re: Tom's Electrolysis setup

Photos 6 & 7 - 200 zloty coin before & after
8, 9 & 10 - One Cent American before & after

Attachments

• 1cent_after.jpg
    1cent_after.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 1,016
  • 1cent_before2.jpg
    1cent_before2.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 1cent_before.jpg
    1cent_before.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,027
  • 200zl_after.jpg
    200zl_after.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1,026
  • 200zl_before.jpg
    200zl_before.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 1,051

Photos 11 & 12 - English 1922 Half Crown before and after.

I tried all different kinds of setups, I made the mistake of using a coat hanger thinking because its nice and shiny it must be stainless steal... it wasnt' so I tried a knife, screw driver and the clip alone but the best results are from using a stainless steal cable in the tub, made a big difference.. I even tried using Aquarium PH increaser / decreaser, however in order to work out what works best I'll have to experiment some more.

Back at work now so I can only really play with it on the weekend.

My process for cleaning a coin is the following:
1, Clean water (I didn't use distilled water as I didn't have any, so I ran the tap for a while until it was clean)
2, 2 x table spoons of Bicarb Soda
3, Stainless wire looped around the object
4, only the object and object holder in the water
5, leaving the object in the water for upto 2hrs (using 335mA power source)
6, after taking the object out, dry it in a clean towel, and rub it down.
7, WD40 bath for half an hour
8, rub the coin down and take any dirt off it.
9, Polish it up using WD40.
10, Enjoy it :)

Attachments

• halfcrown_after.jpg
    halfcrown_after.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 983
  • halfcrown_before.jpg
    halfcrown_before.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,002

Nice job. You got some really good results. The Lincoln penny looks a little too bright it may be over done. Remember 3 things. 1. don,t do any old coins without checking the price guide. 2. When in doubt use a lower current. 3. Check often so you don,t end up saying where did that coin go?

You seem to be getting a good handle on electrolysis.

Ed

Nice work on the coins.

I've purchased silver coins off ebay, cleaned them, and relisted them for a nice profit. The photo quality and shine of the coin is what sells common silver coins for nice fat prices ;)

By-the-way, that's a trade secret, don't tell anybody.

Zeb

Thanks guys, yeh I still have no idea what I'm doing... but its fun cleaning them and seeing them nice and shinny.

ecdonovan : I live by those rules as soon as I turn it on! ;)

Zeb : That's a great idea! I guess people must think they are Mint ones

Tommi said:
Thanks guys, yeh I still have no idea what I'm doing... but its fun cleaning them and seeing them nice and shinny.

ecdonovan : I live by those rules as soon as I turn it on!? ;)

Zeb : That's a great idea! I guess people must think they are Mint ones

No, there's really no deception. When it comes to buying coins off ebay, about 1% (max) know what they're doing. The other 99% buy by impulse. A serious collector wants his coins naturally toned and he knows when they've been cleaned. He's very shrewd in his bidding.

There are loads of folks who really don't care what a coin is really worth on the common market. They buy cause they like it. Post a bright shiny silver coin reflecting the suns light and you'll probably get twice (or) more what you paid for it. Make the picture right and you'll do even better.

Just scan ebay and see all the out-of-focus, off-color, etc., photos of coins there are. It's a wonder they sell anything.

Like I said...don't tell anybody? ;)?

Tommi,

nice job and an interesting post.

Do keep us posted on any fine-tuning you do in the process.

have a good un..........
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

I'm not sure why, but the one cent coin has stated to turn a different shade of bronze? also some black stains are starting to reappear. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the WD40 bath.
Maybe I need to get rid of the oil with a soap bath or something natural.

Check it out:

Attachments

• one_cent_days_later.jpg
    one_cent_days_later.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 931

You might try not using the WD-40. Instead after cleaning and rinsing coat with a lite coat of bees wax. Conservator are you out there? What would you do after cleaning coins? Zeb, Do you put anything on them after cleaning?

ecdonovan said:
You might try not using the WD-40. Instead after cleaning and rinsing coat with a lite coat of bees wax. Conservator are you out there? What would you do after cleaning coins? Zeb, Do you put anything on them after cleaning?

I know you don't want all this but heck you may find it interesting.

First, I never clean copper coins with electrolysis. I'll use it sparingly only on silver, never copper.

I'm not a college-trained conservator but I have some years of experience cleaning shipwreck finds (pieces of eight, silver riders, etc.), ancient coins, etc.

I use either lye or some type of oil soak (WD-40, olive, etc.) for most copper/bronze coins. I want the coin to maintain a darker patina look as most of my work is done for dealers and/or collectors and this is what they want.

Collectors hate bright shiny old coppers. I also seek to leave some surface corrosion and avoid that pitted/grainy look as much as possible.

However, if I did want to make copper coins shiny, I'd soak them in a white vinegar/salt solution. Just mix a tablespoon of table salt into a half cup of vinegar (white). Soak the penny in this vinegar/salt solution for about 5 minutes and wash it with soap and warm water. If it appears to be cleaning well, buff it with a dremel power tool fitted with buffing wheel. If not, put it back into the solution for another 5 minutes.

When satisfied with the look, coat with EverBright. EverBright is a non-yellowing, non-cracking clear coat used by the top jewelry makers (not cheap). Your coin will look super bright for the next 20-100 years.

Give it a try. Take any penny and follow my suggestion. I've already tried it myself and if done right that soaked/buffed penny will nearly knock your eyes out when the sunlight hits it. The shine is almost unbelievable.

But again, a collector would give it thumbs down. This would be just for fun or crafts.

Even without EverBright the penny will hold a shine for a good amount of time. But it will darken eventually if not coated.

Here's the link:
http://www.everbrite.net/

Big problems for little Tom!!! :o :-[

I decided to turn on the equipment to see what it would do to my prized (lol idiot!!! ::)) 200zloty coin.. and I connected the wires in the wrong order and the water looked pretty clean... but what I didn't see is the stainless steel wire covered in poo. I believe the wires connected to the wrong things made a reverse impact... because I came back 5mins later and my bright shinny silver coin turned dark brown coopper looking !!! :-\ :'(

I worked out what I did wrong, changed the water, cleaned everything, and then tried to clean it but to little change... man..I'm kicking myself now!

I really need to make one of those,good jod!

On the contrary , ZEB I for one would like to hear from anyone with past experience in coin preservation. Unfortunately I have not found many coins lately to work? on , (Clad!) and trash abound!
I am curious as to the long term effects of the methods you suggest. Do you have any coins done and have been sitting for a few years? Do you add any other protection for coins you keep?

Ed

Does anyone know how to get a stan off metal?

My silver coin now has a gold tinge to it... :-\

ecdonovan said:
On the contrary , ZEB I for one would like to hear from anyone with past experience in coin preservation. Unfortunately I have not found many coins lately to work? on , (Clad!) and trash abound!
I am curious as to the long term effects of the methods you suggest. Do you have any cine done and have been sitting for a few years? Do you add any other protection for coins you keep?

Ed

Hi Ed,

I don't have coins from years past. I'm going by the makers (EverBright) own claims on this.

I do have a special made table with polished Float Copper (raw Michigan copper) in it that was done about 5 years ago and it still looks just like the day it was made.

Copper only dulls because the oxygen in the air hits it. Keep it sealed and it will shine indefinitely.

Tommi said:
Does anyone know how to get a stan off metal?

My silver coin now has a gold tinge to it...? :-\

The stain problem is one bad side affect of using strong electrolysis on silver. If you get anything into the bath that is of a contrary essence (copper, etc.), it can discolor the silver item you're cleaning. See, many alligator clips are really copper with coatings.

The best electrolysis method to use has been illustrated on this website many times over the years. It's the salt water/foil method. This works well because the danger of foreign nasty metals entering the picture is negligible.

Just make sure you use real name brand aluminum foil, lots of salt, and use hot water. This method takes several repeats but can produce lasting (none yellowing) results.

To get rid of your stain I'd use the foil method on it.?

Thanks for the advice Zeb :)

I've moved onto cleaning a really crazy bell that was unearthed in the backyard of my mums house before she moved.
Problem is in Australia we have 240v power points, and I've upgraded power units to a 500mA which is getting extremely hot and worrying. :(

the older unit is around 355mA and I think it maybe isn't powerful enough? funny thing is, that also became hotter then normal, could the bell which I assume is made from copper be conducting electricity in a different way to a coin?
Does size matter?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back