What's new

too large for a musketball?

burglarifyoulike

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
476
Reaction score
57
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I would appreciate any ideas on what these might be. Found at an old homestead site. Thanks for looking! (the "ball" is not attracted to a magnet, and appears to be brass, or perhaps copper, rang in at about 86 on my DFX) The other object is brass, i believe, but not sure.
 

Attachments

  • mystery objects 2.webp
    mystery objects 2.webp
    1.8 KB · Views: 294
  • mystery objects 1.webp
    mystery objects 1.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 326
  • mstery objects, ball.webp
    mstery objects, ball.webp
    1 KB · Views: 301
:read2:

The large shot may be Grape Shot from a Cannon :)

SS
 
Upvote 0
thanks, Silver, for your quick reply. I am trying to put some pieces of a puzzle together about the hunt that uncovered these items as well as a Union Eagle sword belt plate. There was no CW action in our area that I know of, but these two items were found in the same field, along with several shot lead balls (more the size of a musketball that i just figured were shooting at game or something). But I am a little perplexed now. I do appreciate your speedy comment and agree that it does look like that.
 
Upvote 0
Even though the first item is shaped somewhat like a chess piece, I think it is either a finial or a handle. It reminds me of the handles from a brass fireplace set. Breezie
 
Upvote 0
The first finial is something I find quite a few of. I've never been sure if they were furniture related or went on something like a fireplace guard or maybe a clock, really not sure, so will wait & watch. I think they are at least 19th Century.
 
Upvote 0
If the ball is brass it is probably a check ball for some type of pump. Tony
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom