Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Hello there,

Showing off what I put together on what I have picked up
this site 12-A-446. It is a sandbar that off the curve in the
river. I picked and kept and sorted the best I could, I am
not a expert but try to learn as I go. All replies welcome.
Last on spiral paleo end scraper certain features are characteristic
with paleo. Have loads more.

Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• ct.JPG
    ct.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 288
  • ctu.JPG
    ctu.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 254
Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
That looks like a fantastic site you have there, also looks like it would take a good long while to hunt it all! As far as paleo scrapers go... IMO people are WAY too prone to label them paleo, the truth of the matter is that most scrapers from all of the past ten thousand plus years were very similar in nature. Unless you find a scraper in a site that has been producing nothing but paleo artifacts (call me) or has been excavated from a known paleo site I would seriously hesitate to say it's paleo. Cool finds no less, don't get me wrong but in a river setting where all stratigraphy has been washed away and artifacts that have been made thousands of years apart may be found lying next to each other it's all but impossible to tell.

luckyinkentucky

Feb 29, 2008
Owensboro, Kentucky
I'd be reluctant to label it Paleo as well. Especially in North East Indiana! The reason being that the the megafauna that inhabited the U.S. after the last Ice Age were primarily from Indianapolis to the Gulf Coast. The last ice age prevented a lot of Paleo Indians from inhabiting the northern parts of Indiana. I would venture to say that a lot of Paleo indians saw glaciers covering most of Indiana. That would mean that the highest concentration of Paleo Indians in the region would be Southern Indiana and further south into Kentucky, across the Ohio. That is one of the reasons why you find high concentrations of Paleo artifacts in Kentucky. Most Mega Fauna (mastodon, giant bear, sloth, etc ...) lived south of the Ohio River at certain time periods.

It's often quite a task to label scrapers one way or the other. I've seen what looked to be Archaic thumb scrapers in a Woodland site. Native Americans were creatures of necessity, and I believe they used whatever they had on hand at the time without being worried about fashioning a tool a certain way. Most of the scrapers around here were tools of necessity, and they didn't always put the detail into them like they did their projectile points. Just my 2 cents.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like plenty of classic looking PES paleo end scrapers with little beak even. Of course they can be used in any time period, the finding and preponderance of PES's can indicate a real good paleo spot. Perhaps just multicultural all mixed together? I'd love to see some of those sorta triangular ones with the little beak off of them in closer shots. Nice stuff :D

OP
OP
bruce

bruce

Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Thank for taking the time for looking in. Say Tom here a couple more
pics, let me know what you think struck off the cornerblock?

Bruce

Attachments

• pes.JPG
    pes.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 196
  • pesf.JPG
    pesf.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 200

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2007
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That looks like a great site for artifacts ... interesting group of finds you have too ... congratz ~ Jimmy

OP
OP
bruce

bruce

Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Thank you very much Jimmy on that. For now though the field sold
changed hands in a big way thanks to the off road vehicles no trespass.
Still have couple more sites yet to look it relaxing and refreshing thank
goodness.

Thanks,
Bruce

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread