Upvote 0

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Re: Tooth & Bone

They look Antiquus, how long are those horn cores? I can't read your scale....

OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The smaller one is around a foot. The other is around 15 inches. End to end. Both dark in color. Both found next to a water source.

stryker-one

Aug 10, 2007
Independence, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Scorpion Gold Stinger and Tesoro Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That horn looks like a cape buffalo horn--half anyway. You know-- Africa cape buffalo.

Stryker

OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That would be awesome stryker! Both were found in Iowa. The larger one has a strange shape to it. Maybe I have it pictured upsidedown? I am posting a pic of the other one with a arrow pointing to a line.
It has a hole that goes through.Sorta looks like a bullet hole but not sure.

I really don't know what these are from :-[

Attachments

• arrow.jpg
    arrow.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 267

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds!!That hole is from a duct,I took a bison with a bow a couple years ago and its skull has those on both sides. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Jazdo

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for confirmation Kuger! How close were you when you took the shot?

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

No problem!I learned alot about them myself,including the fact that they are one bad animal!!Long story short this wasnt a "penned",hunt,they were as wild as they get.It took two days to finally get within 22 yards,which was the distance I wanted but not in the wide open field we ended up in.They had been in some really rough country with dense timber and that is where I wanted to play but they seemed to know we were after them and they went out into the plains.I knew that if they get mad they get a crook in there tail and when they attack your *&^% is grass.So here we were two ya hoos with sharp sticks flipping a coin to who was was going to make the stalk.............so I won (or lost)the flip.......and crawled over 100 yrds across bare(cactus)ground to where the three bulls had bedded down.When I got to where I wanted to shoot I still had to get to my knees,which I did but not undetetected,one bull jumped up and started snorting but he didnt seem to know what I was,I slowly drew and then it hit me.....what happens when I punch this dude and all hell breaks loose!!!!I have no where to go and no gun?Well I let it rip and it sunk to the fletchings.(one little thing I learned was the little 80 grain broadhead I was using penetrated ten times better than another group of hunters we met shooting 150 grn. heads and 30lbs more draw!)Well when buffalo smell blood they surround the wounded and will not let him lay down(which in a way was good for me because they didnt pay attention to me.)the bull I shot didnt even seem to know he was hit,but they moved out and we gave him about 45 mins.Well two hours later and another arrow he finally expired.I can honestly say I felt remorse for him,they have an unbelievable will to live.Then the work began!!It took five hours to skin him(also learned that an obsidian blade is far superiorior to any modern knife in skinning these.He weighed over 2400 lbs everything on them is huge!!!If I was into the record book(which I am not) he would be a new world record.Trully an awesome experience and the best meat I ever ate(I donated over half to local Indian tribe.The horns on the mount are not the originals(they are not as big as the originals and the biggest I could get) as they are on the skull

Attachments

• buff.jpg
    buff.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 155
  • buff2.jpg
    buff2.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 151

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread