What's new

Tooth identification.

EVB

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2013
Messages
29
Reaction score
22
Golden Thread
0
Location
Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this tooth in the Santa Cruz, CA mountains about 20 years ago and never found out exactly what it may be. I know it is some kind of mammal but is it a whale, tiger, claw of some sort? I was sifting for shark teeth when it popped up in my sifter. I was pretty happy with it at the time. :)
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0113.webp
    IMG_0113.webp
    521.7 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_0114.webp
    IMG_0114.webp
    592.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0115.webp
    IMG_0115.webp
    558.7 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_0116.webp
    IMG_0116.webp
    550 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0117.webp
    IMG_0117.webp
    613 KB · Views: 211
That would be a sperm whale tooth. Only the whale teeth have that big cavity on the large end. It is very worn though, so I could be wrong. It might also be a worn down horse tooth. I am speaking from Florida experience here, but if you found it with Miocene fossils, it's a whale tooth. Funny, we just had another member (Gatorboy) find a whale tooth a few days ago. Nice find! :icon_thumright:
 
The time period sounds correct. I think the range in this place is 15-2 million years. I have a pile of interesting finds from this place, this one really stands out though. Thank you!
 
I have collected sharks teeth along the Chesapeak bay at Calvert cliffs and often found dolphin teeth that look very similar.
 
Lots of Dolphin teeth can be picked from the surface of this spot. They are tiny though.
 
'Course, the real challenge is collecting the teeth from live sharks.
 
Nice find!
The dolphin teeth are solid also.
 
Here is one of each for comparison

ForumRunner_20130501_222957.webp
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom