Torn up streets holding potential for metal detecting?

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, I've recently got my first detector since being a youth, and so far I've had ok luck with practicing techniques. The soil in North Texas can be easy to work with or absolutely horrible clay. The 'who-knows-what's-next' situation going on recently with heat-rain-heat-rain-etc isn't exactly helping around here. That being said, I do have a relatively specific question, and include a photo for reference.

Over the past few years the City has been slowly working on streets close to where I work. Having studied quite a bit of history regarding my City, I've learned that where I am is actually very, very close to the original heart of the City back in its earliest days. There are still quite a few pockets of undeveloped turf (grass-like with trees but not a park, per se) that I will be exploring soon, but what got my interest is in recently revealed soil or in areas where there's been a lot of construction action. Please note that I'm not interested in disturbing the progress of the contractors, but also not interested in just standing around while there's a potential discovery path looking back at me.

So, without any more lead-in, can you please give your thoughts on the following photo? The main focus is the torn up road (see: streetlight), some of the piles nearby, and in general kind of under and around a lot of the main freeways that got built before I was born. Have you had any luck with detecting this type of area? Any of your tips or words of caution will be appreciated; as mentioned there's plenty of grassy areas where I can hunt, but if I can get some good guidance I'd love to jump over onto the fresh soil and see what's there. Many thanks in advance!

Edge of City - Former Road - Fresh Soil.jpg

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its worth a shot. Expect to find a lot of junk. If you can get onto the reciently scraped areas odds are good you may find some old stuff. The areas under those overpasses may yield something but by and large they will have accumulated a lot of debris over the years. You can try asking the crews if they mind you detecting~ personally just wait till they knock off for the day and move in after they've gone home. As long as there are no trenches or dangerous obstacles no one will mind has been my experience. Luck to ya.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's ALWAYS worth a shot.

My friends & I always look forward to the "tear-up" season . . . 'cause you never know what you'll find.
We've found Seated's, Barbers and plenty of Indians plus, we've had some invites to hunt private lawns.

Anytime they scrape the parkways & pull the sidewalks, older coins & relics will be easier to find.

One thing I always do is dig ALL my non-ferrous targets and large iron for the first 1/2-hour or so. . . just to get a perspective on how old the area is.
Once you determine that, you'll have a better understanding what to dig.

The best time to hit these areas is after dinner. . . or on Sunday mornings. . . early.

Best of luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First you have to find out if your area had dirt streets at one time or if they were paved from the beginning. Usually the road bed isn't near as good as the sidewalk area or parking strip. If there is nothing keeping you from detecting that area, give it a try. You'll find out in short order if there are any target there or not.

OP
OP
V

VernonWalter

Apr 23, 2014
Tejas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all, I think a nice early Sunday before the sun gets going too much will give me a good chance to check it out. Will post finds of whatever comes up or if somebody scoots me away. Much appreciated.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go for it! GL. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread