Back about the late 90's (?), I was living with my girlfriend, Carol, in rural Jefferson County, Kansas. That's between Lawrence and Topeka. About 4-5 miles from Perry Lake, site of many biker rallies...
Ahem.
It was an 100+ year old single story brick 2 bedroom house. There was a "root cellar"/storm shelter in the back yard, a 50+ year old detached garage and a functional windmill. And half a dozen 100+year old cottonwood trees around the yard.
One afternoon, we noticed "that feeling."
About an hour later, we could see the incoming clouds from the southwest and feel the temperature drop.
We sat on the porch and I explained how to tell how close a storm was by counting from the time of the lightning flash until the rumble of thunder was heard. We did this until a strike of lightning hit about 50 yards away with a simultaneous explosion of thunder!
I said, "Tha's close enough. Let's get inside!"
While gathering up items on the porch, an aroma hit my nose of a, well, I don't know how to describe it other than "heavy water."
All the while, the sky is turning GREENISH! The air is heavy, thick and choking. What was once a steadily increasing breeze has now quieted to complete calm and stillness.....
As we are heading inside , I tell Carol, "Better grab the candles, you know how rural electricity is. I'll get the radio and we probably had better head to the storm shelter."
While we are both inside gathering items and finding Pearl, our black lab, the INTERIOR doors start slamming shut!!
I grab Carol's hand and we run out of the back door across the back yard towards the shelter,
Carol screaming for Pearl, large cottonwood tree branches falling all over the yard around us
and wind speeds I've only experienced on my body while {speeding

} on a motorcycle.
When we get to the storm shelter, I grab the handle of the door and though I've opened that door a hundred times before, it felt a hundred times heavier. Maybe it was the wind, I don't know....Most times, I leave it open because Pearl likes to lay in there because it's cool and quiet.
I finally threw open the door and as Carol and I get down the steps, Pearl is already in the shelter, WAITING on us!
Pearl must have went in the shelter when the storm came, and then maybe the winds blew the door shut on her.
Anyway, we all lived.
I can finish the experience if anyone wants to hear of what came next and damage, etc.

I'm pretty sure that I've got pictures around here somewhere...
My Best Wishes,
Scott
I'll always Love you, Carol. Rest in Peace.