What's new

Trade weight or something else?

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
Found this in a gold camp area where I've been digging stuff from mid 1800's to early 1900's. It's diameter is 2 3/4 inches and it weighs 1.2 pounds.

I thought it was a 1 pound counterbalancing (1 pound) weight at first but it has a lip on it so that doesn't make any sense. :icon_scratch: Looks like steel cased lead. Maybe it fit on top of something. All ideas welcome even the off the wall ones!
 

Attachments

  • Deming weighty fnt.webp
    Deming weighty fnt.webp
    48.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Deming weight rev.webp
    Deming weight rev.webp
    41 KB · Views: 75
It's a Pan Weight (Not just for trade, as those tend to be Govt regulated, but could be used like that).
The give-a-away is the hole in the base to adjust its weight. Dig out the lead or put a bit more in.
 
Upvote 0
Counterweights have such a distinctive shape to them, you can almost I.D. them from a mile away. :thumbsup:
The only examples I've ever found were cast in bronze.

Nice find,
Dave
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom