Traveling to Antigua or Barbuda? A MUST READ!

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I must be on a roll to knock off places to vacation with my detector.
In August 3, 2018's Antigua Observer I read that:

"Visitors and residents in Antigua and Barbuda are being warned to stop using metal detectors to uncover artefacts on the country’s beaches.

In a press release on Wednesday, Cabinet reiterated that it is against the law for anyone to use metal detectors to unearth artefacts buried under the sand and on shorelines."

The article goes on in an interview on Antigua's reason for their law.

https://antiguaobserver.com/stop-using-metal-detectors/

Upvote 0

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
F**k the police coming straight outta compton.

Matt

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
who is finding all these artifacts (I know a few guys that have found a Spanish coin or 2 - Ive not found anything older than like the 70s on all 3 islands)
- its probably all the dam TV shows that is causing this problem
and thing is - if the "realty" shows are faking some of these discoveries - they are killing it for us
just to get their "wow" factor

OP
OP
WaterWalker

WaterWalker

Jan 31, 2007
Cape Cod, Massachuestts
Detector(s) used
Garrett (Infinium, ATPro, ATX), Minelab Excalibur, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites (Surfmaster PI, Quantum), JW Fisher 8X, DetectorPro Underwater 8", Minelab Equinox 800, Manticore, Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
islamoradamark:
I doubt you would call it Fake News, if you had your detectors "detained" by the Customs upon entering the country and kept while you try to enjoy your vacation. I did have my detectors detained for my week of vacation - it did put a damper on the expectation I had for the week. Yes, you may get by customs, but knowing the LAW, and abiding by it is just part of being a good detectorist and enjoying the hobby.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they were to detain my detector I would say hold it right there while i catch another flight to a more friendly island . I dont think I could just sit around and do nothing on my vacation I would get bored. That why I medal detect its just exciting

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Political correctness at it's best.

ctdirtdigger

May 14, 2015
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Excalibur (2), GPX 4500, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You didn't happen to travel to Jamaica recently with Eleanor ? I just stopped into her shop 3 days ago and she told me of her experience with the airport folks !! NOT FUN !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread