Traveling up and down the Pinyon DROPOFF.....

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Gang,
Just got back from the desert tonight and MAN what a TRIP !!!! Bruce Harrington and I spent a couple of days exploring some really GREAT places. But first.... A place called the Pinyon Dropoff... Bruce and I decide to take a trip down Split Mt in the Anza Borrego Desert ( down in SoCal ) and we were trying to see if we could make it through.... Well, I can say we REALLY tried.. As you can see by the map we came in through Split Mt ( Fish Creek Wash ) and took in some of the the sites ( we went to the wind caves... but that's another post ). The blue line shows a relatively easy road, the red line.... not so much..

pinyondrop1.jpg

As we made our approach headed towards the S2 ( mainly a Western direction ), we didn't realize that further down the trail that this was a ONE way trail... In fact at this time it wasn't even in our heads. We came up on the drop off and stopped and looked it over ( please understand, we had just ONE vehicle and safety is a MUST ).

DSC_0345.JPG

We had no idea what was ahead, but is was a loooong way back and about 5-6 miles forward so a decision had to be made, and the " pilot " was looking it over..... His answer.... " Ah $%^* lets go for it "... and I said " Ok.... But I guess I should aaaa take pictures and NOT ride in the truck " ;D ;D ;D
And here is what it looked like.....

Top of the hill
DSC_0349.JPG

and a waaaaaayyyyyyy we go !!!!!
DSC_0357.JPG

aaaa Dear Lord just this once I would like to ask a favor....
DSC_0359.JPG

Thank You Baby Jesus ( quote from Will Ferrell )
DSC_0360.JPG

OK... So Bruce made it, and I bowed before his GREATNESS !!!! But let's continue down the trail..... Wait a minute what's this thing ???

Heartbreak Hill and won't ya know it... I got NO pixs of how much WORST this one was going up.. and then that's when I heard " %&^% &&^% &*& ^ *^^ %% we have to go back !!!!! and when you're right you're right.... So guess what we get to do.... YEP....go UP the drop off !!! And this is where I was soooooo glad that I was with someone who REALLY knew how to handle his vehicle. THANK YOU Bruce for not just knowing what to do..... but also DOING it...

mmmm This looks familiar...
DSC_0363.JPG

Heeeeeeere we go !!!!!
DSC_0367.JPG

almoooooost there....
DSC_0372.JPG

YEAH BABY !!!!!!
DSC_0374.JPG

And this was just one tiny part of two ABSOLUTELY GREAT days ..... PLEASE give KUDOS to Bruce for doing what he did, I for one, was TREMENDOUSLY impressed with his ability... GREAT JOB BRUCE !!!!

Enjoy gang
PLL

Vin-Diesel

Jan 18, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro B2/Umax
Re: The DROPOFF at the Pinyon.....

Hey ya Pegleg,

Yea I absolutly love that area. I like to set up my basecamp at Vallecito Station and hike all over that area. In fact the pics on "mug " thread was taken at Vallecito.

and Blair Valley ... sheeesh another fun spot. Have you hiked up to see the pictographs... its pretty neat. I found a cashe (geo-cashe) site up there, not geo-chashing just hiking and bumped into it. Took a ring and left a pencil and carabiner.

On the way there I like to stop at the Pala Mine and sift through a $20 bucket to find tourlamine. Lots of fun..

Rock on

Vin.

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: The DROPOFF at the Pinyon.....

hey Diesel,
Yeah I been to the pictographs, and thought they were pretty cool. Here's a pix, I haven't been to the Marshall South house, but will go this year. Bruce and I were at Vallecitos and I was really annoyed. I was asking which road to take to get to Treasure Canyon, and man was I SHUT DOWN !!!!!! Apparently that whole area behind Vallecitos has been given to the park ( by the government ) and NO ONE is allowed there at all !!!! ( serious jailtime ) It just seems to me, that almost all the land is being taken away from the public and that really SUCKS!!!!! Don't get me started on that $%#^...... Anyway maybe one of these days we'll see you out at Pinyon....

pictographs
petro3.jpg

Have fun
PLL

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah - that was part of the S.21 California Desert Protection Act, 1994.

You may give your thanks to Boxer, Feinstein and Clinton for 'protecting' the land from its people.

B

OPUS1

Jan 23, 2009
So. Cal
Detector(s) used
BH QD II,Minelab GPX 4500 PULSE GOLD PROSPECTING DETECTOR,Garrett Infinium LS Pulse Metal Detector
Pegleg,

What an adventure that must have been. The trip must have been half the fun. I would never make it in my big 2500 Ram. Those little Toyotas are great for small 4x4 trails.

Thanks for sharing your adventure. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
pegleglooker

pegleglooker

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Banning, California
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey gang,
Thankx for all the kind words, but I was really just a passenger/photographer/witness to the whole thing. The " talent " really belongs to Bruce, I mean here we are MILES from anywhere, and if he would have gotten stuck...... I just didn't want to think about the loooooooooonnngggg walk that was ahead. And on top of that he had to go back UP the SAME hill !!!! The boy has skills.... PLEASE give HIM the KUDOS ..... I was just a worried witness ;D ;D ;D ;D

PLL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread