Traveling via Airplane with a metal detector......any problems?

detectordude

Oct 18, 2008
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; Fisher CZ-5; Fisher 1280X; Whites Classic V ID
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 9 year old grandson, who has leukemia, has been selected by the Oklahoma Make A Wish Foundation to take a trip. He selected Disney World in Orlando. His entire family gets to go and my wife and I are going to tag along.
I was pondering taking my Fisher CZ-5 in its own suitcase. I was pondering, time allowing, hunting the beaches in the wet sand and shallow water possibly at Cocoa Beach.
Will there be much of a problem checking it aboard the plane? The lock on it is built in and not a PSA approved lock will that be a problem?

Bill

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've carried my CZ6 on planes probably 20 times over the last 12 years. I break it down and fit it into the carring case. Take it on the plane and place it in the overhead compartment. I've only had trouble one time. 5 years ago while flying back from Hawaii I was not allowed to bring it on board, when I asked the flight attendant why, she said: "You might hit someone over the head with it". I had to run back to the lugage check in and put it in with the regular lugage. Actually Iv'e been carring metal detectors on planes for about 25 years, that Hawaii incident was my only problem. I've taken them to England and Ireland with no problems.

OP
OP
detectordude

detectordude

Oct 18, 2008
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac; Fisher CZ-5; Fisher 1280X; Whites Classic V ID
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sonoma County Mike said:
I've carried my CZ6 on planes probably 20 times over the last 12 years. I break it down and fit it into the carring case. Take it on the plane and place it in the overhead compartment. I've only had trouble one time. 5 years ago while flying back from Hawaii I was not allowed to bring it on board, when I asked the flight attendant why, she said: "You might hit someone over the head with it". I had to run back to the lugage check in and put it in with the regular lugage. Actually Iv'e been carring metal detectors on planes for about 25 years, that Hawaii incident was my only problem. I've taken them to England and Ireland with no problems.

Thanks for the info. I am assuming that you had another bag with you besides the CZ-5's suitcase. Was carrying two bags on board a problem?

Bill

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've carried my Beachhunter ID detector many times to Cancun and Hawaii. I break it down and put the rods in the checked in bags and carry the unit with the coil and hardwired headphones in a carry-on backpack. I have never had anyone question me at all.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info. I am assuming that you had another bag with you besides the CZ-5's suitcase. Was carrying two bags on board a problem?

Bill
[/quote]

I believe all the airlines allow only one carry on. It has to be a certain size and weight. The size restriction is something like 24" X 20" X 8" . The weight is 20 LBS?

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've taken mine a few times with no problems. I recall breaking down the detector and packing it inside my suitcase. I held back on bringing a knife I used for digging...when I got to England my friends supplied the digging tool....I remember buying something that would not have worked at all...they had a good laugh. :)

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
9 year old post...ironically, planes arent flying...

chub

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOPE...

attachment.php

attachment.php

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its a pain...

Must wait until "fasten seat belt" light goes out and they frown at digging in the aisles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread