Treasure Coast river Finds..Portable native kitchen!!

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
The Sunshine State/The Golden State
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I posted in native American forum but no luck there so I will repost it here today Found yesterday.. while prospecting a new land permission,alot of property...did a short bit of detecting till I fell down the embankment about 9 feet in the river edge,luckily just a gash on my foot and not a broken ankle
wish I could get an idea of age,but I don't think its AIS,Any help?
Enjoy

Last edited:
Upvote 9

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know but I would have picked it up - looks good.

S

stefen

Obviously man-made and not natural occurring.

Size suggests use for crushing medicinal herbs or possibly minerals for body paints.

Almost too small to be used for crushing acorns or food grains. Could be wrong tho.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is an amazing find.

The fact that you found both pieces still together is fantastic.

As far as age goes it could be ancient. Then again, it could be far more recent. It's hard to say. I would try and find someone with really good knowledge on native artifacts.

I found a nice hand axe a couple of years ago. I believe it's really really old. No telling how many people passed right over it thinking it was just a "rock".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No way to get an age really, but very nice find

WildWildBill

Banned
Jan 1, 2015
Orange Park, Fl
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX 950/White's Bullseye pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good ole mortar and pestle. An awesome find! I don't recall seeing anybody posting anything like that on this site before. Lucky finding both items. How far apart were they? I've found pestles back home in Kentucky before, but never a mortar. Usually the mortar gets busted up or discarded by the farmer as a rock. I think this is banner all the way. Congrats!

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowwevo

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
this was no more then 4 feet away.there were no other rocks like this near them,and after finding the big boy I starting looking for points pretty heavy,the owner also told me the last person back that far was his dad,in the 1970's,when he originally opened up the back yard with the tractor,you can see scratch marks on it his pops must of nicked it,the front house was built in the 1940's,also of note is the huge river running along his property,perfect for Indians....and then theres the middens and fort,it might be some time though before I can get that far back,its extremely overgrown and hasn't been maintained

OP
OP
slowwevo

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Good ole mortar and pestle. An awesome find! I don't recall seeing anybody posting anything like that on this site before. Lucky finding both items. How far apart were they? I've found pestles back home in Kentucky before, but never a mortar. Usually the mortar gets busted up or discarded by the farmer as a rock. I think this is banner all the way. Congrats!

it is definitely special,gotta be in my top 3 right now, cant stop thinking about the property and what else is there,gonna set up sometime this week to work more of the sugersand area,the only place the jungle wont grow

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find considering the area it originates from. Can you determine the type of stone this is? Is it native to this region? I would venture that since it's weight is 20 + lbs. that in the Native American pre-contact world, such an object would be local and not really considered portable. The rectangular shape and corners also seem more European than Native, as the Native American's thought and created in circles, whereas the Europeans came from a carpentered society, and created in squares. Both sides have different sized working areas, probably depending on the material being worked as to what area was used. I think the hand-stone, pestle, shows wear from being used with this piece.
Not saying it isn't Ais, as they were a very unusual people and difficult to pigeonhole with the other Native cultures in the area. If you are on the mainland side of the main river, across from the Inlet where a small river feeds in flowing from the West, there was an Ais town there on the south bank, but it had Europeans coming and going there quit a bit. Spainish, French, English, and of course Pirates too.
Could this be from a ships galley? Is it Ais? You have a wonderful find that creates many more questions which will make quit a story as it all unfolds for you.
Congratulations on an extraordinary find, and the best of luck on your continued investigation. I hope you will keep us updated with any new discoveries you make.

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome discovery! It's called a metate (one of many specific names I am sure). Depending on where you found it (climate) can help date it. If it's in a heavy weather area, it would be worn down by rain and elements over time. Metates out west in the desert can sit undisturbed for centuries, and not change at all. But one from a wet climate would wear down quicker and show rounding and smoothing on the grinding area.

Glad you didn't get hurt recovering it. Great find!

OP
OP
slowwevo

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
its tough to see and even the pics ,make it look completely square,but the more I look at it.. even the the flat edges seem to be rounded,also the top is jagged too not perfectly flat
Thanks Stacey for giving me a name to research,never heard it before.
Slingshot thank you for your thoughts,i spoke with a local guy who said these are found from here to Arkansas,not so much here,but knowing vero man is close to my site,he dates back to 12000 yrs old,so like you said it is quite a mystery
What comes to mind is the Seminoles running south during the 3 wars,but like you said 20 plus pounds is a lot,if I was running for my life,i think I could find a new mortar and pestle,or metate

Last edited:
OP
OP
slowwevo

slowwevo

Jan 1, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
speaking with a few more ppl its most likely not Seminole,The thinking is.. tale end of the jeaga/jece empire or pre, so that's 17th century or earlier...

"I think were gonna need a bigger display case" - JAWS movie

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome discovery! It's called a metate (one of many specific names I am sure). Depending on where you found it (climate) can help date it. If it's in a heavy weather area, it would be worn down by rain and elements over time. Metates out west in the desert can sit undisturbed for centuries, and not change at all. But one from a wet climate would wear down quicker and show rounding and smoothing on the grinding area.

Glad you didn't get hurt recovering it. Great find!

Really good info.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting