Treasure Hunter legend Joseph Smith

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Is there any truth to the story of 1823 ....I know for a fact he was walking in my backyard in bainbridge along the Susquehanna River about this time period looking for gold or quartz ....Please any commits leave out the M ...word ....IS there any truth to his story as a treasure hunter finding gold treasure in Northeast PA or just a stupid legend ??...or Gold plates from a ancient time period ?? ....I forget the local story about about him being arrested in my town but it had something to do with this and owing money ...This was once a Hot subject so be careful on how you word your answers him and his friends weren't liked something to do with the first amendment ...remember where am at you might offend someone so be careful

N

NinjaT

Is there any truth to the story of 1823 ....I know for a fact he was walking in my backyard in bainbridge along the Susquehanna River about this time period looking for gold or quartz ....Please any commits leave out the M ...word ....IS there any truth to his story as a treasure hunter finding gold treasure in Northeast PA or just a stupid legend ??...or Gold plates from a ancient time period ?? ....I forget the local story about about him being arrested in my town but it had something to do with this and owing money ...This was once a Hot subject so be careful on how you word your answers him and his friends weren't liked something to do with the first amendment ...remember where am at you might offend someone so be careful

Joseph Smith was a very interesting character. He used "scrying stones" by placing the stones inside of a top hat and sticking his face down in the hat to block out all the surrounding light. Supposedly he would be able to see the location of hidden treasures revealed inside the stones. From everything I have read he never actually found treasure using this "method" and it actually got him in to some fraud allegations. The problem with the gold plates is he didn't let anyone outside of his immediate family or very close group of friends to actually see them before they conveniently vanished. I guess it could be possible because if you watch some of Terry Carter's videos you see other people who have found metal plates throughout the U.S. with a strange language written on them. The story as a whole... Not to offend anyone but I've read the Book of Mormon and don't think its historically accurate at all. I could be wrong. But he did purchase an Egyptian scroll from a traveling salesman at one point and then told everyone that it was proof of the story. Later it was found out that the scroll was a page from the Egyptian Book of the Dead! Lol, epic fail. But even still, human beings are not perfect. All of the Book of Mormon could actually be true.

Last edited:
N

NinjaT

But you know, going back to the story of the plates. It has always bugged me because the story about how the plates were found and why he didn't show everyone has always been believable to me. He said he found the plates under a dome shaped stone that only had the top portion of the dome sticking out of the ground. But when he dug down around the stone it was revealed that the stone was much larger than it appeared. He eventually was able to move the stone and encountered a layer of big stones that had been placed neatly side by side together to form a barrier. After penetrating the barrier he reached a box made of a strange ancient cement. Inside the box were the plates.

He then went on to explain why he had not revealed the plates to everyone. He said that once word had gotten out about the golden plates being recovered, "Every stratagem that could be invented was used to get them from him."

It sounds like a real treasure recovery to me. People would have been going absolutely insane devising ways to steal those plates from him back in those times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank NinjaT ......90% of this info i heard over the years ....Hieroglyphics wasn't understood by smith so he just made it up ....So its possible someone might of sold him the plates or he stole them ...And you mention plates like this were found in other places in the USA ....i heard the same stories its very possible some traveler came to NY from the pyramids (where they stole them from) and sold the plates as he travel though the states ...But for me to believe that they are here in the USA from ancient times fat chance in that but anything possible ...I believe he was a treasure hunter ( see some gold plates and take them in the middle of the night ) ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_plates#/media/File:Caractors_large.jpg
This is what i found online ...Reformed Egyptian ....1823-1828 ....I guess this what smith copied or faked ....I thought i read that real plates were written in hieroglyphics but may be it was some scrolls and not the plates since no one ever seen the plates but smith ...Thank you again Ninjat ..Take a good look at all the photos in that link i never thought the plates looked like what they think

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't say what i like to say about the local stories i heard about smith ...what the local people did to him and his family when they lived in colesville on route 7 ....In his short life time he made many many enemies and died a violent way ....What happened in Missouri was hard to believe ....He was true treasure hunter to the end

OP
OP
XLV

XLV

Jul 27, 2016
South East Asia
Primary Interest:
Other
After doing more research on what i just learned from embrum and ninjat ...And knowing all these areas first hand ....i believe if the plate story true ....Smith stole or traded for the plates in Manchester N.Y. it was on a major route west from Boston if i remember right ....In the time of the 1820's New York was a very wild rural place ....So the place smith said he found them i believe it ....the area where he lived never in a million years ...I give smith credit he really traveled great distances ....In bainbridge he was always mentioned walking

N

NinjaT

There was a Native American legend, correct me if I am wrong but I believe it was the Indians that were in the area of Illinois. The legend was that a light skinned being with a long beard came down from the stars and was basically worshiped as a God. What he taught to the people was strikingly similar to Christian principles found in the New Testament. This seems to indicate that the story of Christ visiting North America could be true. But who knows.

There are also certain very striking consistencies in some of the "alien abductions" and "close encounters" with extra-terrestrial beings that have been reported by people over the years. Telling of a very human like race of beings, Caucasian and stunningly beautiful in their appearance. The people who have experiences with these beings always feel a sense of intense love, compassion and sympathy. They deeply care about our spiritual progression and the future of humanity. Is this not perfectly in line with the teachings of the Book of Mormon / story from the Golden Plates?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread