What's new

Treasure hunter succumbs to being trapped in mud

My heart goes out to his family. I know how bad mud can be. I once stepped on what looked like solid ground, next thing I knew I was up to my waist in mud. Very scary and very hard to get out! Luckily a friend was there, and could have helped me get out. In the end, I had to reach out to grab a low lying branch nearby and pull myself out. I could not imagine being stuck over night though!
 
drained lake mud , like quicksand can be tricky if you don't know how to get out of it.
possibly even worse then quicksand.
mud works like a suction cup.
even an inch deep mud can grab your shoe and pull it right off as you walk.
I hear you can swim in quicksand.

if you get stuck in mud up to your Knees, Either immediately Sit down
or Rock Forward and try to stand on your Toes.
pop your heel loose.
then immediately turn around.
If you can't pop your Heels,
walk out of your Shoes/Boots.

I've never reached the waist level that I remember.
I knew what my Limits were .
but seen Kids & Women panic and need to be rescued from waist/hip level Mud.

of course of all things make sure you have a Phone on you , or other "Human" life within sight.
 
Last edited:
When walking on dangerous ground by yourself have a long rope tied around your waist. When walking looks bad loop rope around tree and hold loose end in your hand. When passed danger, drop loose end and re-gather rope to use again. That way you can always pull yourself out of a jam.
Marvin
 
Lessons for us all. Take a phone, bring a friend, tell folks where you are going and when you expect to return, know where you are walking.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom