TROY questions

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
I have owned an X-5 for a couple of years. It is one of the handfull of detectors that can do all three nugget/coin/relic. I bought it because it could detect specimen gold that a lot detectors can not.

It is a top of the line detector with it's strong and weak points. Regarding it's weight it was a welcome relief after lugging the Explorer 11 around(actually one of the main reasons I let the EX11 go). For a lot of older guys weight is a major issue. It has fast recovery which makes it very good on competitive hunts as well as general hunting(superior to the EX11). I like the 5" coil which gives excellent separation in trashy areas with good response to low conductors.

The X-5 has always been known for great depth(Actually I regard the Nautilus as the deepest VLF out there). Compared to other top of the line( CZ, EX11) detectors well I guess depth depends on your area. Superior in some-less in others. A trip to Troy's forum site will quick;y confirm the success of this detector in relict hunting. X-5 users on this forum have formed a closely knit fun club.

The "hot on iron" label has been placed on the X-5 from time to time. Indeed I have dug a lot more iron with my X-5 than the EX11. A lot of Tesoro Tejon relic hunters claim that the Tejon is quite superior to the X-5 in iron. Actually a lot of Fisher detectors have gotten this label also. However for the extremely experienced users(years of useage) this is less of a problem.

You will find that a lot of Tesoro users have a rabid hate for anything to do with the X-5. I don't know why this developed but it alive and well on some relic and Tesoro forums.

The X-5 does not have VDI which is a most for some people. (Actually VDI may be in the long run a hindrance).

The X-5 is very expensive $1000-so is it worth it? I don't know as I bought mine used at a substantial discount. But a lifetime warrant(for original user) is a plus. However the quality of the detector really can't be beat.

Would I buy an X-5 right now? No of course not. They have stopped making X-5s for some time now. Troy is working on a new model. I just know if I bought one Troy would introduce the X-7 next week. I personally would wait an see if the X-7(?) has tone ID but that is just me.

Actually I am going to see if? my GS5(new PI with tone ID-hasn't been delivered yet) can be used for relict hunting.

George

rubberlegs

Nov 15, 2005
its true the X-5 has been discontinue but i will never let mine go for any price,
i have been a nugget shooter since whites came out with the GMII,
and i never thought of coin detecting until i was introduced to X-5.
Now i get the best of all the areas i like to detect, the beach and the parks and the mountains. the-truth-of-the-matter is a detector is only as good as your willing to learn it. I like my x-5 cause it is light, water resistant, short learning curve, and you can use all the features with the knobs and toggles. unlike with some preset type machines and a push button pad. My buddies have low end units and highend units and you know who knows their stuff.
Ohhh and a nother thing, you can't find it til your lope goes over it

Frank
P.S I for one am looking forward to the line of Troy detectors

T

tallpaul

i really like the x 5 machine,, used one many times,, although my personnal machine is the new minelab x terra 50,, now this machine reminds me of the performance you get with a shadow x5,, truely awsome,, just a different layout,, about the same learning curve,, i just get away with less switch flips,, i just ground balance at the beach and put my sense to 14,, and iam away,, there arnt many machines that stay quiet with out any falses and blips when at the beach,,especially in the water, mine is flawless at the beach and the times ive used the x5 the same,, depth would be about the same ish too,, overall two very good machines there,, now i reckon the new troy machine will be deffinatly awsome how much more awsome we'll have to wait and see,, but for quite some time iam stickin with the x terra 50 it works it finds its smooth and ive got it figured,, HH all Paul.

fred w.

Greenie
Dec 19, 2006
It depends on what you want to do.I first bought mine thinking i could dig a foot and find coins left behind by outhers.Can happen but dont count on it! I like mine, the weight is great, the switch for nickle/gold give it a 9.5, Is it worth 1000.00. No but well worth 450.00-675.00. Iv had mine for 3 years and there is a learning curve. good luck on the hunt!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread