California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Earlier today I read in a treasure magazine, a fellow detectorist's machine said, "silver dollar", and turned out to be a half and two quarters, all silver...!!

So, being inspired by that, I went detecting at a nearby park, my machine said "wheat penny", and wouldn't budge from it's verdict - so, I dug it..., and it was TWO wheat pennies!
My motto: Trust Your Detector!
...after all, that's it's job, to tell us what's down there,​
give or take a few cents...! :laughing7:

Upvote 8
Better than that, just trust your eyes once you dug the target! I've had scratchy 'bottle cap' signals turn out to be gold rings. The only way to know for sure is to dig it up!

Which brings to mind a question. If one is going to dig up every single target, why spend money on high end discriminating machines? ;) LOL

forget that & trust your ears

I "hear" ya. I cut my teeth on a Garrett Groundhog and used the sound differences between vlf/tr signals to a very large advantage. I still can. But, one thing I've noticed with the modern detectors, the loudness of the sound varies a LOT less. The pitch too. It's considerably more difficult to discern targets simply by their sound anymore. For example, the ST-Pro's standard mode gives almost the same loudness/frequency on different targets. Sort of, it's either good or bad, there or not there.

Still, learn the differences the machine makes will always be good advice.
:thumbsup:

from WHADIFIND: If one is going to dig up every single target, why spend money on high end discriminating machines?

I like the 'high end discriminating machines' not because they discriminate, but because they are better at finding the weak deep targets-- the ones I'm really after. I have discriminating capability, but rarely use it-- except in highly mineralized areas or places with large amounts of trash.

Now if they would just build a machine to recover our targets for us. I'm not lazy, just tired and in a lot of pain. WtG on the silver.

I like the 'high end discriminating machines' not because they discriminate, but because they are better at finding the weak deep targets-- the ones I'm really after. I have discriminating capability, but rarely use it-- except in highly mineralized areas or places with large amounts of trash.

But, if they spent all that money to build all those bells and whistles. Maybe it would be better spent on JUST the detecting capability of a machine. Should be a more powerful machine, shouldn't it? Wasted space/time/effort/development, coulda all been used to make it just pick up a dime at 2 feet. ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back