What's new

Tumbling coppers or electrolysis?

Oldrvrrat57

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2022
Messages
975
Reaction score
6,340
Golden Thread
1
Location
Illinois
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Needing some advice, I'm wanting to clean up some large cents and Indianhead pennies that are pretty cruddy and want some opinions on what method to use? Tried a couple useing electrolysis and didn't really like the end results. Any other methods out there that are used ? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!
 
I tumble copper coins (up to about 15 at a time) in a tumbler about 2/3 full of aquarium gravel and a 1/4 teaspoon of low-sudsing laundry detergent and distilled water to cover everything for a couple of hours. I see fairly good cleaning results without noticing any loss of metal. If they are not clean enough, I sometimes run them through a second cycle.
 
I have used Hydrogen Peroxide 3%-a 40 cream.
The cream or gel is for hairdressers.
Mixed results from great to burnt.
I have seen results from folks that have tumbled copper discs, and the details have been good enough to easily ID.
I guess anything that requires a tumble isn't good enough to be sent in for grading.
 
...With all due respect, this advice is strictly from a coin collector's point of view, & there's no arguing this point: ...guys, be aware that your tumbling methods are going to greatly reduce any numismatic value the coins may have ... shining coins to try & enhance their appearance is a huge no - no ... you can take a $100 coin & reduce it's value to $10 or less, by using this method ...

... there is one method amateurs can use to try & remove material from a coin: soak in 100% acetone (cheap & available at stores like Target, Walmart, etc. ... ). Acetone will not affect the metal, & will remove organic gunk such as loose dirt, glue, tape, oil, etc. Soaking can take anywhere from hours to weeks, to a month or more, depending on the coin's surface condition. Be patient. After soaking in acetone, do not rinse in water. 100% acetone will quickly & completely evaporate by itself. Water can contain corrosive minerals such as lime, fluoride, chlorine, etc., that will eventually undo what you're trying to achieve ...

...if you use water to rinse in the field, you should follow up at home with an hour's 100% acetone soak, to remove any minerals attached to the coin's surface ...

...While in the field, resist the urge finger-rub dirt & sand off of a coin ... that's as bad as tumbling, &, again, can greatly reduce any value a coin may have. If you don't have a little water with you, or, nearby, be patient & wait until you're home & can properly rinse & soak the coin as described above ...

...I'm gonna refer to the recent New England tree coin catch/spill mentioned on this site ... by cleaning & damaging the coins' surfaces, these guys may have reduced the coins' values by 60% or more ... heartbreaking ...

...I apologize if I've offended you, is not my intent here, but, you may appreciate this info in the spirit in which it is given ...

...In closing, I would suggest your taking any coins of questionable value to a dealer in your area, & get some advise before over-cleaning the coins ...
 
...With all due respect, this advice is strictly from a coin collector's point of view, & there's no arguing this point: ...guys, be aware that your tumbling methods are going to greatly reduce any numismatic value the coins may have ... shining coins to try & enhance their appearance is a huge no - no ... you can take a $100 coin & reduce it's value to $10 or less, by using this method ...

... there is one method amateurs can use to try & remove material from a coin: soak in 100% acetone (cheap & available at stores like Target, Walmart, etc. ... ). Acetone will not affect the metal, & will remove organic gunk such as loose dirt, glue, tape, oil, etc. Soaking can take anywhere from hours to weeks, to a month or more, depending on the coin's surface condition. Be patient. After soaking in acetone, do not rinse in water. 100% acetone will quickly & completely evaporate by itself. Water can contain corrosive minerals such as lime, fluoride, chlorine, etc., that will eventually undo what you're trying to achieve ...

...if you use water to rinse in the field, you should follow up at home with an hour's 100% acetone soak, to remove any minerals attached to the coin's surface ...

...While in the field, resist the urge finger-rub dirt & sand off of a coin ... that's as bad as tumbling, &, again, can greatly reduce any value a coin may have. If you don't have a little water with you, or, nearby, be patient & wait until you're home & can properly rinse & soak the coin as described above ...

...I'm gonna refer to the recent New England tree coin catch/spill mentioned on this site ... by cleaning & damaging the coins' surfaces, these guys may have reduced the coins' values by 60% or more ... heartbreaking ...

...I apologize if I've offended you, is not my intent here, but, you may appreciate this info in the spirit in which it is given ...

...In closing, I would suggest your taking any coins of questionable value to a dealer in your area, & get some advise before over-cleaning the coins ...
Thanks I haven't tried acetone on coppers yet, I'll give it a shot. Like I said I'm only trying this on dug coppers that are heavily crusted and with environmental damage. Again thanks for your response!
 
I use heated hydrogen peroxide on some but the worst get soaked in cold water with a pinch of tetrasodium (EDTA). I have used olive oil, but that means soaking the coin for years. Along with all 3 methods above I use toothpicks, old tooth brushes, and on the worst ones, a brass brush.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom