NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy folks,

I was out creek walking after dinner on Friday and stumbled on this. Nowhere near a military base, so I had to call the brother-in-law who was ex demolitions and blew up IEDs in Iraq. After getting about a 90% positive ID from him, I headed down to the police office and reported it's location.

It's a very small town in NW Missouri and they don't have a bomb squad, so it may be a few days before it gets positively ID'ed and potentially destroyed/removed.

There is the potential that I've got it wrong but it's close enough to warrant notifying the authorities. A lot of kids play in the creek and woods in this area.

I'll keep y'all posted.

-NZ49er

20210827_180159.jpg
20210827_180202.jpg
20210827_180207.jpg
0bbc18ee1f629bd0568064b4e281af92.jpg

Upvote 22

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to the updates on this one.

OP
OP
NZ49er

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talked with an officer to see what the outcome was. He said they got an army EOD guy to have a look at it and it IS DEFINITELY a bomb! The expert said it had no primer and I'm pretty sure it was left in the creek from the way the officer was talking. It can stay there as far as I'm concerned. It's a neat relic, but there is always a risk the expert got it wrong, and even if he's right, just because it won't explode doesn't mean that there's nothing nasty INSIDE. We dropped some nasty stuff on Germany and Japan in WWII.

Keep your wits about you while hunting out there. You never know what you'll stumble upon.

Thanks for reading,
-NZ49er

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It,s still there?Did the guy say what kind of bomb,shell,projectile it was?Sure curious about that.Don,t take this as advice,but being the kind of guy I am I,d tie a long rope to it and attach to my truck.Pull that sucker out.Might blow,might not,but I,d be far enough away it would be OK.Then,I,d call the EOD guy back to come get the damn thing.If it didn,t blow!!!!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Howdy folks,

I was out creek walking after dinner on Friday and stumbled on this. Nowhere near a military base, so I had to call the brother-in-law who was ex demolitions and blew up IEDs in Iraq. After getting about a 90% positive ID from him, I headed down to the police office and reported it's location.

It's a very small town in NW Missouri and they don't have a bomb squad, so it may be a few days before it gets positively ID'ed and potentially destroyed/removed.

There is the potential that I've got it wrong but it's close enough to warrant notifying the authorities. A lot of kids play in the creek and woods in this area.

I'll keep y'all posted.

-NZ49er

View attachment 1944870
View attachment 1944871
View attachment 1944872
View attachment 1944873
Yikes! That a very interesting find. It would be interesting to know how the police handle the situation.

DigToChina

Bronze Member
Sep 9, 2016
GTA East, Ontario
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Fisher F2, ProPointer AT
Talked with an officer to see what the outcome was. He said they got an army EOD guy to have a look at it and it IS DEFINITELY a bomb! The expert said it had no primer and I'm pretty sure it was left in the creek from the way the officer was talking. It can stay there as far as I'm concerned. It's a neat relic, but there is always a risk the expert got it wrong, and even if he's right, just because it won't explode doesn't mean that there's nothing nasty INSIDE. We dropped some nasty stuff on Germany and Japan in WWII.

Keep your wits about you while hunting out there. You never know what you'll stumble upon.

Thanks for reading,
-NZ49er
Seriously? Was probably quitting time 😒

Tell the local newspaper if it’s still there. It’ll be gone by lunch...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions