Two blocks, one week

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Been chasing street work again this year, not much to show. Over the last week on one two block stretch I did get some shinies, wheaties, a couple IH's and lots of rusty iron objects.
C'vile seated 13.JPG That's an 1876 CC dime, as usual, all beaten. I think they dragged those coins across the country from Nevada to the midwest back in the day. Also that 100 anniversary pin (1819-1919) from the IOOF (International Order of Oddfellows, American chapters)
5rosieparty.JPG Five silver rosies came from the parkways.

Maple St Relics.JPG One '57 rabies tag, keys, crotal bell, stirrup hanger (I think) another old axe head, another wedge, a thimble, several buttons from the mid-19th century to present, etc.

street work relics.jpgWhat appears to be an animals tooth, actually a crown for someone's dog perhaps, made of lead, flattened musketball of very small caliber and a bit for an old key.

Pipes are being laid now so that stretch is pretty much gone, back on the hunt for more street work.

Had fun working the area and talking to the locals as they came out to visit and check on the finds. No hassles. One of the older fellas on the block showed me a pistol his mother gave him when he was 18 and he's still got it, never fired by him. I was kinda nervous just holding it, it was a pristene Smith and Wesson Model 1 with original rosewood grips. Not everyday someone shows up with one of those really special show and tell items and an epic tale of how and why it came to him. Sooo sorry I didn't have the camera with me then.

Happy Hunting!

Attachments

• Maple St relics2.JPG
    Maple St relics2.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 108
The oddfellows token is awesome
Looks like some good digs to me....

Congrats on the great finds Tim! WTG!

Thanks fellas, but I need to correct myself, that's Independent Order of Odd Fellows. I have read about some of their long ago encampments around Elgin but have never been able to locate any items specific to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back