Two bottles and maybe some silver

Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was walking down my rode yesterday and I saw a table with a free sign next to it. There were three things that got my attention. First, I saw two bottles. image.jpg image.jpg one is one of the old glass Coca Cola bottles(thought it was interesting) and the other has a pat. Date of 1920. But the best thing that was there was this. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
It is a butter dish and it may be sterling. There was a little note on it that said it was but I could not find any hallmarks. If you can tell me anything about this, like if it is silver or a possible date, it would be very helpful.

Upvote 3

jimther

Jul 24, 2017
Eastern Taxachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites SPECTRUM XLT
Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it were Sterling, it would almost assuredly be marked as such, with that word, STERLING, or if British or other non-U.S. piece, it would have a hallmark stamped in it. British hallmarks usually have four components, one to indicate Sterling, one to indicate city of manufacturer, a letter to indicate year, and another to indicate maker.
Look very closely with a good magnifying glass or loupe at the base and lid.
My guess though, that without the Sterling stamp or hallmark, it may be plated.
Good luck... hope you find a hallmark.

Jim

OP
OP
Vermont treasure hunter
Jul 7, 2020
Vermont
Detector(s) used
An old radio shack, simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jim their, I looked at it more closely and still could not find any marks so I am guessing that it's plated. I also say that because there are a few places were it looks like the silver plating came of. Do you have any idea of an age?

jimther

Jul 24, 2017
Eastern Taxachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites SPECTRUM XLT
Garrett PRO-POINTER
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As far as age, I saw several similar ones online with nearly the same glass liner design, when I did a Google image search for “silver butter dish”. Some were as recent as the 1970’s, so likely 20th century, but not sure how early yours may have been made.

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out that coke bottle a little closer some of them are worth some money or just hanging on to

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Isn't the taller bottle an early orange crush soda?

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Just looked at my wife's grandmother's butter dish. Glass tray and under the lid, silver plated with the makers name. Each piece of yours should say 925 or sterling if it is silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread