What's new

Christmas Day Coca-Cola bottle

Ed_DE

Hero Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2019
Messages
731
Reaction score
3,711
Golden Thread
1
🥇 Banner finds
1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a Christmas Day Coca-Cola bottle Pat. date December 25,1923 while detecting in the woods yesterday. It was a surface find and the bottle was in OK shape except for a crack tip above the neck of the bottle.

I thought it was a little unusual that I would find a 102 year old Coca-cola bottle that was still intact on the surface of the ground.

So I did some research and found out that Coca-Cola made reproductions of the 1923 Christmas bottle in the 1980’s.

One way I could tell it’s a reproduction is the tiny 86 date code on the bottom half of the bottle.

Even though it’s a reproduction 1923 Christmas bottle it’s still a nice find.

IMG_0091.webp
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0091.webp
    IMG_0091.webp
    82.9 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Found a Christmas Day Coca-Cola bottle Pat. date December 25,1923 while detecting in the woods yesterday. It was a surface find and the bottle was in OK shape except for a crack tip above the neck of the bottle.

I thought it was a little unusual that I would find a 102 year old Coca-cola bottle that was still intact on the surface of the ground.

So I did some research and found out that Coca-Cola made reproductions of the 1923 Christmas bottle in the 1980’s.

One way I could tell it’s a reproduction is the tiny 86 date code on the bottom half of the bottle.

Even though it’s a reproduction 1923 Christmas bottle it’s still a nice find.

View attachment 2238086
Is there any writing on the bottom?
 
Is there any writing on the bottom?
Yes …. It had Philadelphia. I left the bottle where I found it . I can’t remember if it was small or large print. Small print would make it a reproduction.
 
Yes …. It had Philadelphia. I left the bottle where I found it . I can’t remember if it was small or large print. Small print would make it a reproduction.
When I was a kid I collected soda bottles and turned them in for the deposit so I had some money for candy, I use to love looking at the bottoms of Coke bottles to see where they were made!
 
I am not certain it’s a reproduction. It looks like it has heavy case wear from being used and re used many times. The reproduction bottles were used once and thrown away.
I’ve found bottles much older than that on the surface, I wouldn’t be too alarmed by that.
If you had a pic of the base that would show pretty well if it was an original or not.
 
I went back today to get the hobbleskirt Christmas Day coke bottle I found. I took a pic of the bottom & better pics of the date code. I believe the 62 is the Julian date & the 36 is the year.

Reproductions I believe were made in 1989 & 1997.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0125.webp
    IMG_0125.webp
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0137.webp
    IMG_0137.webp
    685.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0132.webp
    IMG_0132.webp
    446.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0133.webp
    IMG_0133.webp
    437.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0138.webp
    IMG_0138.webp
    790.9 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom